+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help in determining if my relationship of mine in Canada counts as Conjugal Relationship

Gavin Martin

Aug 21, 2024
For the past year now, me and my friend who has supported me for nearly 6 years, and I consider absolute family, want to eventually move in with each other, He's up in Canada while im in the US.

We can't come together however due to the fact I am unable to apply for most of the programs that'd allow me to migrate to Canada. So our best bet on finally being together and becoming cohabitation/roommates is nearly impossible from all accounts, except for Conjugal Relationship.

He helps me financially here and there and I try my best to do so as well, and our relationship is that of basically brothers and we both have been mentally helping each other through hell and back, I want to know if that basis could be helpful if he were to sponsor me as a Conjugal Partner so I could finally move up to Canada and be with him finally.

I don't plan on becoming a full on relationship like a boyfriend boyfriend due to how much I consider him as family outside of that, we simply want to live together as basically family members and potentially become common-law partners, I have high hopes but know that most of the other programs require so far much more then I physically or mentally could give.

No matter how long it takes, I want to be with him deep down cause I know we both would be able to be happy together and be able to support each other without any barriers.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you US citizen? You are not conjugal because if he is Canadian then he can come to you too. There are no immigration barriers for you to be together.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't really understand your post. Can't you and him get married? Or you can come in as visitor and just stay and not work (extend your stay before 6 months is over) and once you lived with him for 12 months continously then you guys are common law partners and he can apply to sponsor you under Family Class.

The confusing wordings are... you and him are "family" and are "brothers"? But are you and him in a romantic/married-like relationship? There is no immigration barrier between US and Canada. (Assuming that you are a US citizen)

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For the past year now, me and my friend who has supported me for nearly 6 years, and I consider absolute family, want to eventually move in with each other, He's up in Canada while im in the US.

We can't come together however due to the fact I am unable to apply for most of the programs that'd allow me to migrate to Canada. So our best bet on finally being together and becoming cohabitation/roommates is nearly impossible from all accounts, except for Conjugal Relationship.

He helps me financially here and there and I try my best to do so as well, and our relationship is that of basically brothers and we both have been mentally helping each other through hell and back, I want to know if that basis could be helpful if he were to sponsor me as a Conjugal Partner so I could finally move up to Canada and be with him finally.

I don't plan on becoming a full on relationship like a boyfriend boyfriend due to how much I consider him as family outside of that, we simply want to live together as basically family members and potentially become common-law partners, I have high hopes but know that most of the other programs require so far much more then I physically or mentally could give.
Conjugal, like married and common law, are intended for outright marriage or marriage-like relationships. Not sibling-like or family-like.

And as others have noted, there is no barrier to either marriage or common-law in your case.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

No matter how long it takes, I want to be with him deep down cause I know we both would be able to be happy together and be able to support each other without any barriers.
Definitely not conjugal. No barrier to getting married or becoming common law.