+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help- Filling Out Civil Status

nylra2014

Aug 9, 2014
Hi,

I really need your insights about my case.

I am an aspirant immigrant under Federal Skilled Worker Program 2014. I'm currently working in gathering the documents needed for the application.
I just have some concerns though.

1.) About my civil status - almost all my documents reflect my status as single because it has been awhile since I was separated from "wife". I am married (twice) one was not annulled yet so the 2nd marriage is automatically considered null and void.

To give you a background, I was married when I was young (around 20-21). I was forced by his parents to marry her because she was pregnant at that time. Anyway, I remarry the 2nd time thinking that that first marriage was not recorded because it was done so abruptly that no preparation was needed and that was done only under a government official. That second marriage did not work and we've been separated for almost 15 years now. Even if I want to end things clearly and legally--- divorce in the Philippines is not allowed and annulment is just way too expensive.

Now, I have a common-law partner (for 4 years) and a son. I want to include them in my application.

My problem now, is what status do I place on my papers (forms)? For the question: Whether I have been married before, will I need to say yes and if I do, I feel that it would only create inconsistencies with my other government records. I don't want to go over the trouble of changing my status from single to married in all my government records because it would definitely take time especially with our government system. I'm running out of time knowing that I only have this year to send my application under this FSW Program.

I need your advice about this just to ensure that I have this application successful or would your recommend I get a lawyer for this?

Thank you in anticipation for your time and advice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You should say that you are common law in your application. Mention both marriages in the application as well. Then write a letter to CIC to include with your application explaining exactly what you have explained above.

nylra2014

Aug 9, 2014
Great!!!! Thank you Scylla for your advice that's exactly what I'll do. and probalably get a letter notarized by a lawyer about the inconsistency of my civil status.

Do you think I still need an immigration lawyer for this? (which I'm sure is pretty expensive)..hmmm for the love of my dreams and family I'm willing to sacrifice the spending at least.