+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - Eligibility for CEC | PhD as Work Experience

mikeoow

Jun 11, 2023
Hi!

During my PhD studies (at a univeristy in Brazil), I had the opportunity to conduct part of my research in a Canadian university. I wanna make sure this counts as a canadian work experience, for CEC.

Details: job position - education researcher/research assistant, full-time work, one year experience (Feb 1st, 2022, to Jan 31st, 2023), with LMIA-Exempt Work Permit. My employer was the Canadian university, as stated in the WP. I know also they would provide me a reference letter.

The thing is, although I was an employer at the Canadian university, my university in Brazil was the one paying me (paying the award). I wonder if this invalidate the experience. In my work permit it was I was a researcher award recipient.

I know student work doesn’t count as work experience for CEC, but I’m mostly finding things about being a student IN Canada, which is not my case. Yeah I was doing my PhD, but not in Canada.

Is this okay for the reference letter: During this period, he worked 40 hours per week and received an annual salary of $X CAD. Or instead of "annual salary" it should be "research award"? Other options?

Thanks in advance for the help!