+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Does delayed entry affect Post Graduate Work Permit?

songoftruth

Jul 21, 2022
Hi! I'm a student waiting for the study permit for 2022fall. According to the official site, it may still take 2 months until we get the result (and another 3 weeks to deliver the passport). My program is a 2-year (the actual study time is 16mo) master's, so we can have a 3-year PGWP. Now if I get the approval but cannot get my passport ready before Sep., I consider having classes online for some time. Does that affect the PGWP? Will the PGWP turned from 3-year to 1-year, if I cannot study in Canada for 16 months? I really don't want to defer it till next year. Any help or information would be appreciated! Thanks!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi! I'm a student waiting for the study permit for 2022fall. According to the official site, it may still take 2 months until we get the result (and another 3 weeks to deliver the passport). My program is a 2-year (the actual study time is 16mo) master's, so we can have a 3-year PGWP. Now if I get the approval but cannot get my passport ready before Sep., I consider having classes online for some time. Does that affect the PGWP? Will the PGWP turned from 3-year to 1-year, if I cannot study in Canada for 16 months? I really don't want to defer it till next year. Any help or information would be appreciated! Thanks!
No one can tell your definitively that you will get a 3 year PGWP. If you start online and outside Canada without a study permit then yes it will change the length of your PGWP. During Covid, IRCC allowed online studies outside Canada but that ends August 31.

Work in Canada after you graduate: About the post-graduation work permit - Canada.ca

The following time won’t count toward the length of a PGWP:

• time spent studying outside Canada after August 31, 2022
  • time spent studying before you applied for a study permit

Reactions: songoftruth