+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Common-law sponsorship questions.

yaz22

Apr 10, 2013
Here is my list of questions for you guys, hopefully someone can be of help!

1. I am applying for out of Canada sponsorship even thought I live in Canada, so I am sending my application to the UK because processing times are quicker than within Canada. However, Guide 3900 specifically says "Sponsorship of a (") common-law partner (") living outside Canada. I just want to be 100% sure that I am eligible?

2. The guide states that the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM5409) "must be completed and signed by the sponsor and common-law partner, only if the latter is a co-signer on the application." Am I considered the co-signer if my sponsor is my common-law partner, and I am the one being sponsored?

3. On Schedule A - Background/Declaration (IMM 5669), Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) and Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire (IMM5490) it states that each form must be filled out by your common-law partner as well as yourself. Does my common-law partner still have to fill out these forms if he is my sponsor?

Thanks guys!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
yaz22 said:
1. I am applying for out of Canada sponsorship even thought I live in Canada, so I am sending my application to the UK because processing times are quicker than within Canada. However, Guide 3900 specifically says "Sponsorship of a (") common-law partner (") living outside Canada. I just want to be 100% sure that I am eligible?

2. The guide states that the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM5409) "must be completed and signed by the sponsor and common-law partner, only if the latter is a co-signer on the application." Am I considered the co-signer if my sponsor is my common-law partner, and I am the one being sponsored?

3. On Schedule A - Background/Declaration (IMM 5669), Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) and Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire (IMM5490) it states that each form must be filled out by your common-law partner as well as yourself. Does my common-law partner still have to fill out these forms if he is my sponsor?
Hi

1. Yes, it's fine to apply outland while inside Canada. Just to clarify, you don't send the app to the UK; you send it to Mississauga for sponsor approval and CIC then sends it to the UK.

2. You are not a co-signer, you do not need that form.

3. No, your partner doesn't fill any of those out, just you.