+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help calculate CLB Level based on IELTS General Training score for Express entry profile creation

newuser01012022

Jan 12, 2022
Hi,
I am planning to create Express Entry profile under Federal Skilled Worker Program. Need your help in calculating CLB Level based on IELTS General Training score. I am a bit confused because I got less than 7 score in one of the sections (abilities), which makes me think if I need to reappear for the test.

Listening - 8.5
Reading - 7.0
Writing - 6.5
Speaking - 7.5

IELTS Test report shows Overall Band Score 7.5 and CEFR Level C1

If these scores indeed make me eligible for Express Entry profile creation/submission, then can someone please advice how many points do I get out of max 24 as provided in following URL- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/language-requirements/language-testing.html

Is it 23 points? Calculated as follows--- CLB 10 for Listening (6 points), CLB 9 for Reading (6 points), CLB 8 for Writing (5 points), CLB 10 for Speaking (6 points)

Appreciate if someone can help me with this.

Thank you!

Ultraxion

May 10, 2022
You need to get at least 7 in writing to be competitive in FSW. If you check "Skill Transferability factors" in the CRS grading scheme, the difference is huge between CLB 9 and <9.

newuser01012022

Jan 12, 2022
You need to get at least 7 in writing to be competitive in FSW. If you check "Skill Transferability factors" in the CRS grading scheme, the difference is huge between CLB 9 and <9.
Hello @Ultraxion ,
Thank you for your response. I need to apply under FSW program, I don't qualify for other programs yet. So it is confirmed that I must get at least 7 score in each of the abilities and I should not be looking at the average score. Your response if quite clear about getting higher score to be competitive, but just need confirmation about getting 7 score in each ability to be eligible for submitting Express Entry Profile under FSW program. Thanks again.

Ultraxion

May 10, 2022
The minimum language requirement for FSW is CLB 7 in all sections, which for IELTS would be 6 for all sections. With your current IELTS score you have no problem. You also have to score at least 67 in "Six Selection Factors", and I believe your calculation in that regard is correct.

And just a suggestion, get your IELTS writing reassessed when you still can. It will only help in the future.

Reactions: newuser01012022