+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help about work permits..

Motherbuddha

Feb 24, 2012
Hi, need some advice, ive been to canada three times over the course of two years as a visitor, my wife is canadain and she just recentley went back to canada..

Is it possible for me to apply for a open work permit, she is asking at her work about hiring me keeping in mind it won't be a skilled job..

Is there any thing we can do, our situation is not ideal ive not had much work here in the uk as usal and my wife is working, we want to apply for sponsor ship eventually and do it inland, that for us the best idea i think..

Any help guidance advice welcome..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You don't qualify for an open work permit as of now.

If your wife sponsors you for PR using the inland method, you will qualify for an open work permit once your application has first stage approval. First stage approval is currently taking 11 months from the time the application is submitted. However since you're from the UK - it's really a much better idea to apply outland.

Alternatively you can look for an employer in Canada who is willing to offer you a full time job and is able to obtain an approved LMIA (approval to hire you). If you can get this, you'll be able to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. Note that to be approved for an LMIA, the employer will have to advertise the job for a minimum of a month to prove that no Canadian could be found for the role and also pay a $1K processing fee. Processing times for LMIAs can be up to 20 weeks.