+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hello experts! I have a question about my temporary resident status

Jii_Little

Feb 18, 2019
Thank you for clicking in my page :)

Here is my current situation:

I am holding a work visa and a work permit, which will be expired on May 20, 2019. I am not working currently. I live in Canada with my common-law partner (Canadian citizen by birth).
My common-law partner and I submitted the permanent resident application on January 16th, 2019. We haven't received the acknowledgement of receipt yet.​

My Questions are:
  • While I am waiting for the process, what is the best option to apply and maintain a legal status in Canada?
  • Am I eligible for an open work permit? I know it takes more than 4 months for the open work permit to be processed, which my current permit will be expired by that time. Can I still stay in Canada legally when while I am waiting for the open work permit to be processed?

Thank you so much for your time and help!

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017

I am holding a work visa and a work permit, which will be expired on May 20, 2019. I am not working currently. I live in Canada with my common-law partner (Canadian citizen by birth).
My common-law partner and I submitted the permanent resident application on January 16th, 2019. We haven't received the acknowledgement of receipt yet.​

My Questions are:
  • While I am waiting for the process, what is the best option to apply and maintain a legal status in Canada?
  • Am I eligible for an open work permit? I know it takes more than 4 months for the open work permit to be processed, which my current permit will be expired by that time. Can I still stay in Canada legally when while I am waiting for the open work permit to be processed?

1. Extend your stay as a visitor
2. Only if you applied inland (in Canada class)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

My Questions are:

Did you apply inland or outland?

Jii_Little

Feb 18, 2019
1. Extend your stay as a visitor
2. Only if you applied inland (in Canada class)
Thank you for your reply!
wondering what will my status be during the period when my work permit expired and waiting for the new permit or visitor visa. Can I still be legal to stay in Canada during the period?