+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Healthcare for Pregnant co applicant for first child

sne.barve

Sep 27, 2017
Dear Members,

My husband & I hold an Indian passport and we currently live in India. I am 8 weeks pregnant for my first child and in the process of getting Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) for my Husband as a primary applicant and me as a coapplicant.

We are planning to enter Canada when I am in my 6th month and I am largely contemplating whether to go ahead with my delivery in Canada or stay back in India. I have a health insurance including maternity benefits with my employer here.

I am keen to know, if I can have any healthcare benefits as a PR holder in Canada? Is there any way I can get health cover for my delivery? A travel insurance or my medical insurance in India?
How much will a normal delivery cost in BC or Alberta?
Will my child get the Canadian citizenship being the first child?

Kindly advise the best and way to go about it.

Thanks,
Sneha Sahasrabudhe

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I will answer one question in that any child born in Canada will be a Canadian citizen at birth.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are planning on living in BC or Alberta? If you buy travel insurance while already pregnant a delivery will not be covered. They are usually excluded by most travel insurance because it is not an unexpected health expense.

sne.barve

Sep 27, 2017
Are planning on living in BC or Alberta? If you buy travel insurance while already pregnant a delivery will not be covered. They are usually excluded by most travel insurance because it is not an unexpected health expense.
If we land in Alberta, what would be the process to get covered by the Govt?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If land in Alberta and live in Alberta for 183 days out of 12 months you should qualify for healthcare on arrival. Because Alberta realizes that they grant coverage on arrival and others do not I would expect them to monitor your account to make sure you meet the residency requirement.

sne.barve

Sep 27, 2017
If land in Alberta and live in Alberta for 183 days out of 12 months you should qualify for healthcare on arrival. Because Alberta realizes that they grant coverage on arrival and others do not I would expect them to monitor your account to make sure you meet the residency requirement.
Thank you for your response, however, before my date of delivery we may not complete 183 days in Alberta. What happens in this case?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry let my clarify: once you obtain coverage you must meet the residency requirement. For example if you decide to move to BC 3 months after getting coverage you will be asked to reimburse Alberta for all your medical costs.

sne.barve

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry let my clarify: once you obtain coverage you must meet the residency requirement. For example if you decide to move to BC 3 months after getting coverage you will be asked to reimburse Alberta for all your medical costs.
I am still not clear. Once I land during my pregnancy in January, will they cover me under Alberta Health Care Insurance? I understand that we need to ensure that we remain in Alberta for an year. But to get covered, will i be eligible?

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
I am still not clear. Once I land during my pregnancy in January, will they cover me under Alberta Health Care Insurance? I understand that we need to ensure that we remain in Alberta for an year. But to get covered, will i be eligible?
You will be eligible from the day you land. If you fail to stay in Alberta after your delivery for the minimum period required, you will likely be asked to repay the medical costs with possible penalties.

sne.barve

Sep 27, 2017
You will be eligible from the day you land. If you fail to stay in Alberta after your delivery for the minimum period required, you will likely be asked to repay the medical costs with possible penalties.
Thank you so much for the clarification. What is the minimum period required to be in Alberta post Delivery? And what is the process for registering for Alberta Health Care Insurance?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you so much for the clarification. What is the minimum period required to be in Alberta post Delivery? And what is the process for registering for Alberta Health Care Insurance?
You must live in Alberta for 6 months after landing there. If you move before 6 months, then Alberta will bill you for all medical costs you and your baby received.
This is to prevent people from landing in Alberta just to take advantage of their healthcare, then leaving right after.
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/how-to-register.html