+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have you ever used any other name? - study permit

Jun 2, 2022
Hello guys,

I badly need your help. My name on my birth certificate is XXXXX YYYYY. I have never used this name at all and in all my documents, I’m known as XXXX YYYY ZZZZ, with Y being my mother’s last name and Z as my father’s last name. My birth certificate was later updated with X Y Z in 2010.

Unfortunately, I answered 2.a. ‘No’, which in hindsight should have been ‘Yes’

I already submitted my application 3 weeks ago and just realized this grave mistake now. I brought this to IRCC’s attention today via webform but have not included an updated form.

I’m terrified of getting banned from Canada. What should I do?

Thank you so much!

Aaru9667

Star Member
Apr 26, 2022
Hello guys,

I badly need your help. My name on my birth certificate is XXXXX YYYYY. I have never used this name at all and in all my documents, I’m known as XXXX YYYY ZZZZ, with Y being my mother’s last name and Z as my father’s last name. My birth certificate was later updated with X Y Z in 2010.

Unfortunately, I answered 2.a. ‘No’, which in hindsight should have been ‘Yes’

I already submitted my application 3 weeks ago and just realized this grave mistake now. I brought this to IRCC’s attention today via webform but have not included an updated form.

I’m terrified of getting banned from Canada. What should I do?

Thank you so much!
I don't see how that is a different name. You still have those 2 names. Did your last name change from Y to Y-Z or from Y to Z?
Does the updated birth certificate mention the old name? Which name is on the passport?
I personally don't think it will be an issue as a name got added to the original. The original didnt change so it should come up in all their background checks. Just my unofficial opinion.
And you have sent a webform so you have taken the necessary action. If they want proof or additional docs they will reach out.

Reactions: therandomcookie
Jun 2, 2022
I don't see how that is a different name. You still have those 2 names. Did your last name change from Y to Y-Z or from Y to Z?
Does the updated birth certificate mention the old name? Which name is on the passport?
I personally don't think it will be an issue as a name got added to the original. The original didnt change so it should come up in all their background checks. Just my unofficial opinion.
And you have sent a webform so you have taken the necessary action. If they want proof or additional docs they will reach out.
Thanks for the response! It changed from Y to Z. My last name became my middle name. So now I have X Y Z instead of X Y. I’m just worried about the possible consequences of this error, especially after reading other people’s stories on how they got banned due to an error in their application. :eek: