+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have LMIA, but didn't work in Canada

ashishsharma

Mar 14, 2015
My employer filed for LMIA for me late last year which got approved. However, they decided meanwhile that I should work in another team in their US office. So we ignored the lmia and joined the US office (I have the copy of lmia with me). I checked the express entry program recently and I seems to be eligible for FSW.

Can I use that LMIA to get 600 points in express entry? Does it need that we actually worked inside Canada for getting points from LMIA?

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
ashishsharma said:
My employer filed for LMIA for me late last year which got approved. However, they decided meanwhile that I should work in another team in their US office. So we ignored the lmia and joined the US office (I have the copy of lmia with me). I checked the express entry program recently and I seems to be eligible for FSW.

Can I use that LMIA to get 600 points in express entry? Does it need that we actually worked inside Canada for getting points from LMIA?

Ask yourself these questions to get qualified for the LMIA points :

1. Is the offer letter rolled out to you for the Canadian organization or US organization?
2. Are you paid in US$ or CAD?
3. Even if you work in another team in the US office do you have a reporting manager in Canada?
4. Have you ever physically lived in Canada to work for this employer who sponsored your LMIA?

Answer to these questions would define your Canadian work experience.

ashishsharma

Mar 14, 2015
Thank you for quick reply.

I have not worked in Canada. I work for the US organization/division and get paid in USD. I have the offer letter from Canadian division of the company (and might be able to get a new Canadian job offer letter if required). I have physically entered Canada in past, but on tourist visa for some personal visit, I guess that doesn't count.

Is Canadian work ex required for FSW? I thought its required only for CEC. What exactly is needed to get points for LMIA?

SMCANADAVISA

Oct 21, 2014
ashishsharma said:
Thank you for quick reply.

I have not worked in Canada. I work for the US organization/division and get paid in USD. I have the offer letter from Canadian division of the company (and might be able to get a new Canadian job offer letter if required). I have physically entered Canada in past, but on tourist visa for some personal visit, I guess that doesn't count.

Is Canadian work ex required for FSW? I thought its required only for CEC. What exactly is needed to get points for LMIA?
To get points for LMIA you need to have a job offer - permanent, full-time and active. It's a question to be asked that if you have been offered by the Canadian company then why being paid in US$. But if you are not anxious to get in to CEC, no worries at all. Tourist visa to Canada does not count in anyway.