+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has This Happened To Anyone?

Supernova

Star Member
Nov 26, 2010
I came to Alberta on a student visa for a graduate program for Fall 2010. However, I found that the program I am enrolled in is not the one I want to continue. I want to with draw from the program and later apply for another graduate program for Fall 2011. I know that under the new regulations international students can change from one post-secondary institution to another without applying for a new study permit.

BUT- WHAT IF THERE IS A GAP IN BETWEEN CHANGING UNIVERSITIES WHEN THE STUDENT IS NOT ENROLLED IN A UNIVERSITY? Does this affect the visa status in any way?

If I withdraw from my current program and have gap of 6-8 months, will this affect my status in any way? Do I have to be currently enrolled in a university for my student visa and study permit to be valid?

I have a two year visa and two year study permit that will last till September 2012.

Plz help me as I have been loosing many night's sleep over this.

Thank you.

asif712

Nov 25, 2010
This is the question i also wanted to ask can anyone help in this matter.
I am accepted on one college and if I granted a Visa can I change my college in same session or next in another province?

acemsyed

Star Member
Aug 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
2112 / 1236
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
asif712 said:
This is the question i also wanted to ask can anyone help in this matter.
I am accepted on one college and if I granted a Visa can I change my college in same session or next in another province?
Yes, with exception of Quebec you can go to any province and change your academic institution offering post secondary education without being required to notify CHC. However if you were planning to study in Quebec and now wish to move to another province you might have to submit a fresh application.

Cheers ;-)

Supernova

Star Member
Nov 26, 2010
acemsyed said:
Yes, with exception of Quebec you can go to any province and change your academic institution offering post secondary education without being required to notify CHC. However if you were planning to study in Quebec and now wish to move to another province you might have to submit a fresh application.

Cheers ;-)
Thank you for your reply.

What if I plan to change Uni in Aug 2011 and I have already withdrawn from the present institution. Will the gap from December 2010-September 2011 when I will not be in school affect my standing?

Please advise.

shahzad2002

Oct 23, 2010
Scarborough, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2 May 2015
Doc's Request.
I hope not
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
important topic guys
plz senior members

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you in Canada or Pakistan right now?
Suppose you are in Canada
You can change it but make sure you dont loose your full time student status after you change university and maintain good academic standing so your visa is extended

shahzad2002

Oct 23, 2010
Scarborough, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2 May 2015
Doc's Request.
I hope not
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
yar he will start study after 6 or 7 months. Is there any problem for this gap?

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is nothing preventing you from withdrawing from one school and enrolling in another, even if it involves a significant gap (one or two terms). Where you are likely to encounter problems is down the road a bit when you'll need to request an extension to your visa anbd study permit. With a 8-month (two terms) gap in studies, it's obviously going to be extremely unlikely that you'll be able to complete your program of study befor your visa and permit expire. Clearly, this will necessitate extensions to your visa and study permit. At that point, you may find that you're going to have a difficult time trying to justify to officials why you were unable to complete studies in the allotted time. Study permits require students to attend courses on a full-time basis. Usually, full time is defined as carrying a load of 9 credit hours (3 courses) or more in all terms (summer term being an exception).

While study permit extensions are routinely granted all the time, these extensions are usually due to ADDITIONAL coursework/study programs a student wants to enroll in, rather than to enable a student to complete a program of study for which he/she has already been granted a sufficient length of time to complete.

Bottom line ... receiving an extension to your visa and permit is far from an assured thing.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.