+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has Covid affected my year of Canadian Work Experience?

Iain.c

Jan 29, 2020
Hi guys,

Little bit of background to my situation here. I have applied for Common Law Partner Visa and I'm currently on implied status waiting on my OWP to be approved.
I got an email today from IRCC saying I have been invited to apply for a Canada Experience Class Express Entry PR application from an old
profile I had submitted. I though I should apply for this too as I already have the WES approval for my degree and IELTS etc, so I should apply for this as it will give me permanent residence faster than Common Law.

The issues are these:
I would've reached the year of Canadian work experience for my current employer in May, but my business closed in late March due to the Pandemic. I'm still employed by them,
and I'm still working in a limited capacity doing consultancy for menu design. Has this affected my year of Canadian Work experience? I have actually accrued many hours over the 30 hour per week, but I read that it has to be consistent over the calendar year.
Also, I am unable to get a reference for one of my foreign employers, what information would IRCC accept as proof of employment there. I have a contract, payslips, and emails proving my length of employment for them.

Hopefully someone can help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Little bit of background to my situation here. I have applied for Common Law Partner Visa and I'm currently on implied status waiting on my OWP to be approved.
I got an email today from IRCC saying I have been invited to apply for a Canada Experience Class Express Entry PR application from an old
profile I had submitted. I though I should apply for this too as I already have the WES approval for my degree and IELTS etc, so I should apply for this as it will give me permanent residence faster than Common Law.

The issues are these:
I would've reached the year of Canadian work experience for my current employer in May, but my business closed in late March due to the Pandemic. I'm still employed by them,
and I'm still working in a limited capacity doing consultancy for menu design. Has this affected my year of Canadian Work experience? I have actually accrued many hours over the 30 hour per week, but I read that it has to be consistent over the calendar year.
Also, I am unable to get a reference for one of my foreign employers, what information would IRCC accept as proof of employment there. I have a contract, payslips, and emails proving my length of employment for them.

Hopefully someone can help
You can't carry over extra hours into other weeks. Here's how you have to do the 1 year calculation

1) Each week where you worked 30 hours or more is counted as 1 single week (doesn't matter if you worked 30, 60 or 90 hours).
2) For the weeks where you worked less than 30 hours, add up all of the hours and divide by 30.

Add the two numbers above together. They must equal 52 or more for you to claim a year of work experience.