+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B to Temporary work Visa or PR

ksriv01

Apr 17, 2014
Hi,
I am looking for expert help here. Can some one help me get answers to my below Q's. It is high time we decide how we want our career paths to be, we want to adapt the less time consuming process. Either ways we want be here in the US or Canada, whichever is possible.

Scenario 1:
H1B holder, has a total of 1.9 yrs left to complete 6 yrs. IT - Testing/ QA professional with 10 + yrs of relevant Exp and Masters in Engineering, Indian National
Can he apply for a Work permit or PR in Canada?
Does he require to have a job before he applies?
If he finds a job and comes on a work permit how soon can he initiate his PR?
While he is there in Canada on a Work permit, will his H1B still be valid or would it be revoked?
Can he apply for a GC in US being there in Canada on a work permit?
What if both his process are started parallel the GC in US and the PR in Canada will there be an issue?
Say he finds a job in Canada by June 2014, how soon can he start his PR process and when would he get his PR??
Can he still Keep his H1B while he does that?

Scenario 2:
His H1B employer sends him on a project to Canada with a Work permit.
The employer wants to initiate a GC here in the US while he is on a project there in Canada with a work permit is that possible?
or
Can the employer not process a GC here and will process a PR there or is both Canadian PR and US GC possible while the employee is in Canada on projects??

Scenario 3:
H1B Employee is here in US , GC initiated- can he apply for a Canadian PR being here in the US , Both GC and PR being processed parallel?
GC initiated, applying for work permit in Canada and working there temporarily, will this hamper GC process?

Thankyou.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll need to ask your Green Card and HB1 questions on a US immigration forum. I would recommend this one:

http://forums.immigration.com/

In order to qualify for a work permit, this individual will need to secure a job offer in Canada first - and the employer will also need to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion.

Canada has various immigration programs. The majority require job offers in Canada to qualify. However some don't. You'll have to spend some time researching your options here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

If you would prefer not to do this research yourself, you can look into hiring an immigration lawyer to assist you.

How soon someone can apply for PR after securing a job in Canada can depend on a number of things such as: the skill level of the job, whether the job qualifies them under an immigration program, whether their employer is willing to sponsor them, whether the job is permanent, etc. There are also other requirements to consider such as whether the application has taken a language test and achieve the required score to qualify for immigration.

Again, you'll need to dedicate some time to learning about Canada's immigration programs.

ksriv01

Apr 17, 2014
Thank you so much for the quick response. I did read through, but haven't understood a bit of it.
I know there are some PNP programs and Skilled worker visa. As far as this situation goes, this individual that I am talking about is my Hubby
is a Testing professional in the IT industry.
I am just looking at having a safer situation as returning to home country now is not a option for us. Just in case our extensions get denied or if GC process doesn't start immediately, we want to have options of staying in the US or Canada. About job offer, his currently employer here in the US can send him on a temporary work Visa there, they do have clients , projects and need for the skills that my hubby possess, it is just that we are hesitant to apply, we just don't know what we should be considering we have 2 school going kids as well, so their education comes in to picture as well.
Totally Confused :-\

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Testing is a profession in the IT industry in Canada. However it's generally very difficult to immigrate as an IT professional to Canada right now without a permanent job offer. (What your employer would be offering your husband isn't permanent.)

Note that if your husband does manage to secure a temporary work permit to Canada, there is no guarantee you and your children would be able to accompany him as temporary residents as well (you can apply but no one can say for certain if you will be approved).

Since you have so much riding on this decision and are confused by the information on the CIC web site, I think it would be a good idea for you to hire a qualified Canadian immigration laywer or consultant to assist you.

Good luck.

ksriv01

Apr 17, 2014
Thank you , I appreciate all the help your giving me, may be your right!! I know a lawyer here in the US. Let's see will try to get a Canadian immigration Lawyer's contact from him. Good that you told me a temporary Visa doesn't guarantee dependents entry.
Luckily he works for a Big organisation and they have great client base all over the globe, They might as well offer a permanent position..They are the fortune 500, he is hired here in the US on H1B. Thank you so much, you eased a lot from my mind, now I know how and where he needs to approach.
Best route is his Employer. :)