+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Application Processing Time and Lawyer reccommendations

maxj28705

Jul 4, 2024
Hello,

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen, and I am looking to apply for H&C for a close family member who's been living with me here in Canada for almost 9 years. I have two questions regarding this type of application:

1. Firstly, I understand that there are two stages for this type of application: Stage 1, Approval and Stage 2, where PR is processed. On the IRCC website, the processing time for H&C applications is stated as approx. 20 months, is this the approximate amount of time one can expect the entire process to take, meaning could the Stage 1 approval be received sooner than this?

2. I understand that H&C cases are very complex, so I was wondering if you know any law firms in the GTA area that are experts in the H&C subject. The number of immigration law firms and lawyers is overwhelming, and I've been in contact with licensed lawyers who don't seem very promising. Have you had experience with this kind of case and would you be willing to recommend lawyers?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen, and I am looking to apply for H&C for a close family member who's been living with me here in Canada for almost 9 years. I have two questions regarding this type of application:

1. Firstly, I understand that there are two stages for this type of application: Stage 1, Approval and Stage 2, where PR is processed. On the IRCC website, the processing time for H&C applications is stated as approx. 20 months, is this the approximate amount of time one can expect the entire process to take, meaning could the Stage 1 approval be received sooner than this?

2. I understand that H&C cases are very complex, so I was wondering if you know any law firms in the GTA area that are experts in the H&C subject. The number of immigration law firms and lawyers is overwhelming, and I've been in contact with licensed lawyers who don't seem very promising. Have you had experience with this kind of case and would you be willing to recommend lawyers?

Thank you!
1. IRCC processing times are estimates. It's possible for it to take less time and also possible for it to take more time.
2. I don't have a recommendation and you should wait for others to respond.

maxj28705

Jul 4, 2024
1. IRCC processing times are estimates. It's possible for it to take less time and also possible for it to take more time.
2. I don't have a recommendation and you should wait for others to respond.
Thank you for the reply. I understand your point about the estimates, this has certainly been my experience with IRCC in the past. In terms of the processing time, do you happen to know anything about the processing time for stage 1? I understand that this part could take shorter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply. I understand your point about the estimates, this has certainly been my experience with IRCC in the past. In terms of the processing time, do you happen to know anything about the processing time for stage 1? I understand that this part could take shorter.
Normally stage 1 is longer and stage 2 is shorter. I believe most people on this forum waited over a year for stage 1 approval.

Reactions: maxj28705

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hello,

Processing times are based upon 80% of the inventory production - they subtract 10% of the fastest and slowest and that's a current processing time.

It is not a first in - first out system. It works on priorities. This office/processing system decides Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) applications as well as H&C applications. PRRA's have just about all of the priority given the inter-governmental relationship with the CBSA enforcement and removal program.

So, processing time for the stage 1 decision - the decision whether to grant PR processing from within Canada - is currently 20 months. That's the Approval In Principle (AIP) decision. You can easily find the official manual on line to look over the complexities.

Should someone be granted AIP it seems to be another year or perhaps less before becoming a PR.

Reactions: maxj28705

maxj28705

Jul 4, 2024
Hello,

Processing times are based upon 80% of the inventory production - they subtract 10% of the fastest and slowest and that's a current processing time.

It is not a first in - first out system. It works on priorities. This office/processing system decides Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) applications as well as H&C applications. PRRA's have just about all of the priority given the inter-governmental relationship with the CBSA enforcement and removal program.

So, processing time for the stage 1 decision - the decision whether to grant PR processing from within Canada - is currently 20 months. That's the Approval In Principle (AIP) decision. You can easily find the official manual on line to look over the complexities.

Should someone be granted AIP it seems to be another year or perhaps less before becoming a PR.
This is very helpful. Thank you so much for the detailed response!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Hi,

Thank you!
How old is your sibling, how old are they and what statuses have they held over 9 years? Have they attempted to apply for EE? Do you have other siblings and are your parents alive?