+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guide for getting a visitor visa in Canada for my Autistic Sibling

rohitsa

May 5, 2022
Hi everyone,

Currently, I am working in a tech company in Ontario. I would like to apply for a visitor visa for my brother and my family member so that they can visit me in Canada and stay for a couple of months with me. I have enough funds to sponsor all of them. The only obstacle I see is applying for a visitor visa for my brother who has Autism. His age is 25 years old and does not work or is in any school. So I am confused as to how to proceed with filing for a visitor visa so it gets approved. We all used to be a previous ex-PR holder of Singapore and have multiple different countries visas ( no US or first world countries ) if it matters in terms of travel history.

My end goal is to allow him and my parents to freely enter Canada under a visitor visa, as they are not here for employment or for education. We would like to live together for 3-5 months a year as a family. My father has enough proof of funds for more than 3 people and I am also looking for insurance for my brother and parents. I am also thinking of getting a doctor's appointment in the future so that the immigration officer is convinced that he would need to return to his home country for the doctor's appointment. How can I improve the odds of getting his application approved in this scenario? Please help as I am confused.

Fyi:
I have a work permit.
My father is also retired so he does not of employment in his home country. [ thou he has investment and property that shows strong ties to his home country ].
My mother is a house wife, but she also has a property in her name as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Currently, I am working in a tech company in Ontario. I would like to apply for a visitor visa for my brother and my family member so that they can visit me in Canada and stay for a couple of months with me. I have enough funds to sponsor all of them. The only obstacle I see is applying for a visitor visa for my brother who has Autism. His age is 25 years old and does not work or is in any school. So I am confused as to how to proceed with filing for a visitor visa so it gets approved. We all used to be a previous ex-PR holder of Singapore and have multiple different countries visas ( no US or first world countries ) if it matters in terms of travel history.

My end goal is to allow him and my parents to freely enter Canada under a visitor visa, as they are not here for employment or for education. We would like to live together for 3-5 months a year as a family. My father has enough proof of funds for more than 3 people and I am also looking for insurance for my brother and parents. I am also thinking of getting a doctor's appointment in the future so that the immigration officer is convinced that he would need to return to his home country for the doctor's appointment. How can I improve the odds of getting his application approved in this scenario? Please help as I am confused.

Fyi:
I have a work permit.
My father is also retired so he does not of employment in his home country. [ thou he has investment and property that shows strong ties to his home country ].
Your parents and your brother will always need to show that they have the funds to support their own travels for a TRV. Your brother will need to apply separately from your parents which is one of the issues. Your parents may get approved but your brother will unlikely be approved because he won’t have any ties to his home country (like job, own family, property, etc.) or his own savings. I would start with trying for a short visit. The fact that you are only on a WP and not a PR or citizen also creates more challenges. Realistically having your parents and brother visit for 3-5 months per year will be very difficult if not impossible. One of the issues will be concern that your brother will try to remain in Canada. What are his longterm plans are given that your parents are ageing.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

Fyi:
I have a work permit.
Unfortunately no one can tell you the odds of your brother's application being approved.

My very strong recommendation is that you request a trip of 2-3 weeks (not 3-5 months). The 3-5 month trip demonstrates a lack of ties both for your brother and parents.

The doctor's appointment isn't really strong evidence of ties / need to return to his home country. Is there anything else you can show? Does he attend any daily or weekly programs through a school or community group? We don't know your brother of the details of his situations so it's tough for any of us to suggest what you could include in his application. I know you mentioned he doesn't work or attend school. Ultimately it sounds like you'll need to apply with limited evidence for him and hope you get luckly. Probably not much more you can do other than that.

Good luck.

rohitsa

May 5, 2022
Unfortunately no one can tell you the odds of your brother's application being approved.

My very strong recommendation is that you request a trip of 2-3 weeks (not 3-5 months). The 3-5 month trip demonstrates a lack of ties both for your brother and parents.

The doctor's appointment isn't really strong evidence of ties / need to return to his home country. Is there anything else you can show? Does he attend any daily or weekly programs through a school or community group? We don't know your brother of the details of his situations so it's tough for any of us to suggest what you could include in his application. I know you mentioned he doesn't work or attend school. Ultimately it sounds like you'll need to apply with limited evidence for him and hope you get luckly. Probably not much more you can do other than that.

Good luck.
Thank you,

1. I will call them for only 2 weeks.
2. Try to get my brother enrolled for a community so that there is proof that he would have to return back to india.
3. I can also try to move my dad's fund to his savings account which can help him in his application. (Not sure how a mentally dependent person financial account can help in visa process but will play along with their game as long as we get visa for him).
4. My brother is non-verbal, he is not physically dependent, the only problem is he is autistic, which is a development disability. In laymen's term he is a toddler IQ in a man's body. All I know is he would like to stay with family happily.

rohitsa

May 5, 2022
Your parents and your brother will always need to show that they have the funds to support their own travels for a TRV. Your brother will need to apply separately from your parents which is one of the issues. Your parents may get approved but your brother will unlikely be approved because he won’t have any ties to his home country (like job, own family, property, etc.) or his own savings. I would start with trying for a short visit. The fact that you are only on a WP and not a PR or citizen also creates more challenges. Realistically having your parents and brother visit for 3-5 months per year will be very difficult if not impossible. One of the issues will be concern that your brother will try to remain in Canada. What are his Longterm plans are given that your parents are ageing.
1. I have started my PR process, would start asap once I reached canada to apply for express entry.
2. Honestly there is no long-term plan for him, he would just stay with family rest of his life , I would return back to Canada after 5-10 years after they are no longer able to take care of my brother.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you,

1. I will call them for only 2 weeks.
2. Try to get my brother enrolled for a community so that there is proof that he would have to return back to india.
3. I can also try to move my dad's fund to his savings account which can help him in his application. (Not sure how a mentally dependent person financial account can help in visa process but will play along with their game as long as we get visa for him).
4. My brother is non-verbal, he is not physically dependent, the only problem is he is autistic, which is a development disability. In laymen's term he is a toddler IQ in a man's body. All I know is he would like to stay with family happily.
1. Yes, that is a good plan.
2. I'm not sure there's any point in doing this if you plan to apply for the TRVs soon. Ideally he would already have been attending something regularly for a while. If you're just enrolling him now, I don't think that will look like a tie but more of an attempt to create a tie which isn't real. Not sure I would bother.
3. I'm not sure I would do this given the situation. I think your father should include an LOE stating he is sponsoring your brother's trip.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. I have started my PR process, would start asap once I reached canada to apply for express entry.
2. Honestly there is no long-term plan for him, he would just stay with family rest of his life , I would return back to Canada after 5-10 years after they are no longer able to take care of my brother.
2. That is the big issue. Canada has minimal group homes, day programs after age 21 or enough homecare or respite care resources so most families with children with autism or any other form of developmental delay or disabilities have very few options. We are going to face a huge crisis as more of the parents get too frail or die. The wait time for a group home is 25+ years in most of Canada. Most families end up paying substantial costs out of pocket and families do the majority if not all of the caregiving for adults with autism if they are non-verbal. The concern will always be that your parents will want you to care for your brother as they get older. There are families that leave families memberswho have mefical needs or have development delays in Canada because they feel they don’t have any options and can no longer care for the family member. If your brother had a care plan already organized in his home country for when your parents get older or pass away (who would be his guardians, funds saved for his longterm care, housing, etc.) that would be something that would reassure IRCC, only planning for short visits every year or every couple of years and not 3-5 months a year and habing medical insurance would likely give him the best chance of approval by IRCC and address any issues that CBSA may have upon entry.

There are a few that get approved by more that get denied. You should certainly try but plans to stay 3-5 months per year likely need to be reassessed. You

rohitsa

May 5, 2022
That make sense , we have established a NGO with the sole purpose of taking care of his need in the long term , where we have our own house and enough funds for rest of his life as per guardian that would be me after my parents are no longer able to take care of him. Can't he stay with me during the stay in canada , its not like he would not want to return back to india. He has zero intension in breaking any laws in Canada or even stay in Canada. The immigration laws seems as if he will like to settle there as a illegal immigrant. Even when he has a solid travel history he can be denied? @canuck78 have you personally seen people getting rejected for visitor visa for people with autism ? Just asking if you have personal experience.