+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Green card visitor changing status to PR

Jim_4649

Feb 10, 2010
I'm a Canadian citizen living and working in Canada. My wife & daughter are Chinese citizens with US Green Cards. My situation is this: I'll be driving a moving truck from the US into Canada in June, with my wife & daughter in my car behind me, when we cross the bridge. I have already done the customs paperwork and paid the duty on the car she'll be driving. Can they enter Canada as visitors with Green Cards (which allows them to stay for 6 months, no visa required), and then apply for their PR status after the fact? I believe this is legal, but it's going to obvious that they are NOT entering as visitors, since we'll have a moving truck with us.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Your issue is exactly that - they are NOT entering as real "visitors".

Although they can visit canada for 6 months, what you're actually intending to do is move them to Canada permanently, before the PR application is finalised. That's risky, and could get them denied entry. Start by having a read here and here (written for USA immigrants; many of the same issues as you're facing).

You should also read over ENF5 section 5.4 on "dual intent":

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf

At a minimum, I'd strongly suggest you apply to sponsor them now - if you do that, the sponsorship should be approved before June, which goes in your favour as it will show the IO when you're entering Canada that your intention for them to become PRs is legit.