+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Graduate work vs work experience for CEC. Confused!

WLXY

Feb 25, 2011
Hi all,

I did my 4 years undergraduate in a Canadian University and graduated in 2008. However, I didn't apply for PGWP because I moved to another country for a 2 year work contract. I came back to Canada in January and enrolled as a full time Master student with study permit of 3 years to complete. My understanding is that since my graduate assistantship (as defined by NOC 4122) is the core of my whole program, would Canadian Immigration recognized this as my actual work experience (37.5hr/week), at the same time enrolled as a full-time Masters student? Because I hope to apply for PR after accumulated one year of graduate work in the university.

As long as my university could provide the employment letter with all the required criteria required in form IMM5610E, will CIC accept my graduate work as work experience to be eligible for PR under CEC? I believe I will receive T4 slip next year because I get stipend from my supervisor.

Help me out ASAP please....please

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WLXY said:
Hi all,

I did my 4 years undergraduate in a Canadian University and graduated in 2008. However, I didn't apply for PGWP because I moved to another country for a 2 year work contract. I came back to Canada in January and enrolled as a full time Master student with study permit of 3 years to complete. My understanding is that since my graduate assistantship (as defined by NOC 4122) is the core of my whole program, would Canadian Immigration recognized this as my actual work experience (37.5hr/week), at the same time enrolled as a full-time Masters student? Because I hope to apply for PR after accumulated one year of graduate work in the university.

As long as my university could provide the employment letter with all the required criteria required in form IMM5610E, will CIC accept my graduate work as work experience to be eligible for PR under CEC? I believe I will receive T4 slip next year because I get stipend from my supervisor.

Help me out ASAP please....please
I'm sure that you'll be able to use your post graduate work experience as a graduate assistant for your cec. CIC states that for any experience to count it has to be post graduate. The gap might be a potential problem though, I can't tell you that for sure. However you have many more options and your best bet being the provincial nominee program, the graduate stream.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
The gap does not matter, and you would likely qualify after 1 year of work if you can document the hours.