+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Canada for a few days, then to the US for a month and then back to Canada for a couple of weeks. Issues with immigration?

Yahahanina

Aug 19, 2024
Going to Canada for a few days, then to the US for a month and then back to Canada for a couple weeks. Issues with immigration?

I went to Canada for like 3-4 days from my home country, then to the USA for a month (I’m at this leg now and entered on ESTA). We were supposed to do something else, but due to change of plans, we are wondering about going back to Canada for a couple of weeks instead. My stated length of stay for the US will change a couple of days due to this. Not much. My boyfriend is US citizen and travels with me.

When we entered the US from Canada we went through the US immigration in Canada since we flew from Vancouver. The plan is to go back to my country after the two weeks in Canada.

Can I get into problems for this? I’m well within my stay limits for both countries. For Canada, ive only visited once in the past (before this trip) for like 4 days and that was almost 2 years ago. I could also show my exit ticket out of Canada on the Canadian border if they want yo see it. When I entered the US they asked how long I intended to stay, but didn’t ask to see the exit ticket.

I know that if you are in the US, go to Canada or Mexico and go back to the US, your stay in those countries will count on your 90 days ESTA limit since they think you may be trying to reset your days. I’m obviously not doing this, but does Canada have a similar system so they think your stay in the US counts for your Canada days?
Im from Norway if that matters.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Going to Canada for a few days, then to the US for a month and then back to Canada for a couple weeks. Issues with immigration?

I went to Canada for like 3-4 days from my home country, then to the USA for a month (I’m at this leg now and entered on ESTA). We were supposed to do something else, but due to change of plans, we are wondering about going back to Canada for a couple of weeks instead. My stated length of stay for the US will change a couple of days due to this. Not much. My boyfriend is US citizen and travels with me.

When we entered the US from Canada we went through the US immigration in Canada since we flew from Vancouver. The plan is to go back to my country after the two weeks in Canada.

Can I get into problems for this? I’m well within my stay limits for both countries. For Canada, ive only visited once in the past (before this trip) for like 4 days and that was almost 2 years ago. I could also show my exit ticket out of Canada on the Canadian border if they want yo see it. When I entered the US they asked how long I intended to stay, but didn’t ask to see the exit ticket.

I know that if you are in the US, go to Canada or Mexico and go back to the US, your stay in those countries will count on your 90 days ESTA limit since they think you may be trying to reset your days. I’m obviously not doing this, but does Canada have a similar system so they think your stay in the US counts for your Canada days?
Im from Norway if that matters.
I don't see any problems. You'll have to apply for a ETA.