+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Go back to Brazil for a ceremony before returning to get legal married in Canada

CanadaBrazil

Jan 25, 2015
Hi,

My fiance is on a visitor visa - currently in and out of Canada and the USA (where my parents are).

Would it be do-able for us to go back to Brazil and have a religious marriage ceremony before returning to Canada and getting LEGALLY married.

On the spousal application form you need to put the details of your ceremonies (including dates).

Do you think that immigration would look at the date and see she had a ceremony in Brazil (non-legal) BEFORE returning to Canada as a single person... would they have an issue with that? Also would they ask at the order when she returned to Canada if she planned to get married? They did not ask before when she came through immigration the first time.

Thanks

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
CanadaBrazil said:
Hi,

My fiance is on a visitor visa - currently in and out of Canada and the USA (where my parents are).

Would it be do-able for us to go back to Brazil and have a religious marriage ceremony before returning to Canada and getting LEGALLY married.

On the spousal application form you need to put the details of your ceremonies (including dates).

Do you think that immigration would look at the date and see she had a ceremony in Brazil (non-legal) BEFORE returning to Canada as a single person... would they have an issue with that? Also would they ask at the order when she returned to Canada if she planned to get married? They did not ask before when she came through immigration the first time.

Thanks
You can always attach and extra piece of paper and explain your situation. You won't get penalized for having a civil wedding and a religious ceremony separately.

However, unless something changed in the years I've been away, religious ceremonies in Brazil have the same legal effect as a civil ceremony thus according to Brazilian law you'd be married at that point and would get it registered in the cartório like anyone else. I'd recommend checking and making sure first if the religious ceremony you're planning to have really doesn't have legal effect, because if it still does then you wouldn't need to have a civil wedding in Canada (by which I mean the paper-signing only, not referring to other ceremonies if you decided to have a second one for the North American friends and family who couldn't travel to Brazil).

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
As MiriamT said, I'm just confirming: a religious weeding in Brazil have legal effect.
Once you marry in a church, you are legally married.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
DanSlh said:
As MiriamT said, I'm just confirming: a religious weeding in Brazil have legal effect.
Once you marry in a church, you are legally married.
Not only church. OP never mentioned their religion, and the law is extended to all religions in the country.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
I'm reading up the Civil Code right now, and CanadaBrazil and fiance have two options: to have a religious ceremony with civil effect (becoming legally married right then and there), or to have a religious ceremony and later on have a civil wedding (or vice-versa). The couple's choice was the latter.

I stand corrected. My opinion remains the same as in my first line in the first post: "[y]ou can always attach and extra piece of paper and explain your situation. You won't get penalized for having a civil wedding and a religious ceremony separately."

All the best.