+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

girlfriend was living with me

PhyChris

Jan 21, 2009
hi i am a Canadian born and raised and met a girl from the US. she is staying in canada with her grate aunt
she has been staying with me for a year now all most and she wants to go home in the US to visit her family for a week..... if she dose this will we lose out on all the time that we put in on getting a common-law sponsorship?? and well she have trouble getting back in to Canada??
please help me!!

she has a US passport.
she is a US citizen.
her grate aunt is the closet family she has in Canada.

Flori

Star Member
Sep 18, 2008
PhyChris said:
hi i am a Canadian born and raised and met a girl from the US. she is staying in canada with her grate aunt
she has been staying with me for a year now all most and she wants to go home in the US to visit her family for a week..... if she dose this will we lose out on all the time that we put in on getting a common-law sponsorship?? If the reasons why she is going to the USA is just for visiting, I don't think you guys would, but to validate a common law relationship you guys have to be living toghether at least one year. And you'd probably have a good reason why you guys have got married.
and well she have trouble getting back in to Canada?? That I don´t know, its gonna depend on many factors, like her immigrant status in Canada, even though she can visit Canada with no problem, I don't know how long was she permitted to stay, if she overstayed without CIC permission, the chances are she won't be back in Canada easy without going to the proper channels, like applying for a PR.

Now I'm not a immigration consultant or a lawyer, so my knowledge on this subject is limited, I'd suggest you do more research on the CIC website and if necessary get professional help.