+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gift deed need not be notarized - true??

empower

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
I am receiving entire POF as gift from my father through bank transfer to my Indian account. My father is in India and I am in UAE.

I have read in several posts that getting notarization on gift deed is not necessary, only self declaration from father is required. Is this true? Can he just sign on a plain paper of self declaration and email to me and I sign it that I accept it?

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
I am receiving entire POF as gift from my father through bank transfer to my Indian account. My father is in India and I am in UAE.

I have read in several posts that getting notarization on gift deed is not necessary, only self declaration from father is required. Is this true? Can he just sign on a plain paper of self declaration and email to me and I sign it that I accept it?
A gift Deed is a legal document which includes stamp charges.

Most applicants from India talk about a "Gift Deed" however they end up getting an "Affidavit". Which is also accepted. But the benefit of an Affidavit is, there are no stamp charges.

In your case, the bank transfers the money from your father's account to your account through a cheque.
After the transfer, take a copy of your cheque to a local notary and ask for an affidavit stating Father is giving money to their Son with no obligation.
The cheque and bank account details will be enough. An affidavit is already a legal document which is notarized.

empower

Star Member
Apr 9, 2023
A gift Deed is a legal document which includes stamp charges.

Most applicants from India talk about a "Gift Deed" however they end up getting an "Affidavit". Which is also accepted. But the benefit of an Affidavit is, there are no stamp charges.

In your case, the bank transfers the money from your father's account to your account through a cheque.
After the transfer, take a copy of your cheque to a local notary and ask for an affidavit stating Father is giving money to their Son with no obligation.
The cheque and bank account details will be enough. An affidavit is already a legal document which is notarized.
Thanks. My father will transfer me money through online bank transfer, so he will have the transaction receipt. As you said, he will take it to notary and create a gift deed/affidavit that he is gifting me money and sign it.

My question is do I have to sign it as well as I have heard that recipient must sign saying 'I accept the gift'. If yes, is it acceptable if i sign after getting it notarized . (Because i heard the rules that, both doner and recipient must sign infront of notary, but i cannot sign infront of notary as i m in UAE)

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Thanks. My father will transfer me money through online bank transfer, so he will have the transaction receipt. As you said, he will take it to notary and create a gift deed/affidavit that he is gifting me money and sign it.

My question is do I have to sign it as well as I have heard that recipient must sign saying 'I accept the gift'. If yes, is it acceptable if i sign after getting it notarized . (Because i heard the rules that, both doner and recipient must sign infront of notary, but i cannot sign infront of notary as i m in UAE)
Ask your Father to meet a notary and discuss it. They may have a way out.