+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting the Bridging Open Work Permit at the border, or a CIC office. Possible?

aniarmhi

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Hello all,

I'm an inland applicant for PR, through the MPNP. My application was received at the CIO in Sydney on May 28th, but I've still not received an Acknowledgement of Receipt from them, meaning I can't yet apply for a bridging open work permit to maintain my status in Canada.

I'm living and working in Winnipeg on an IEC (International Experience Canada) permit, which is due to expire on October 20th. As many know, this permit does *not* offer implied status once it expires, while you wait for a decision on your new permit.

Assuming I suddenly get my AOR today (fingers crossed!), and apply immediately for the BOWP, processing times are currently at around 111 days. This would take me through to November 18th - and my current permit expires in just 75 days on October 20th, as mentioned.

I'm wondering... has anyone here managed to obtain a BOWP by flagpoling, or by going to their local CIC office? I could do this the moment I receive my AOR, and hope that the people there understand my situation, and the fact that I'm doing everything in my power to stay 'in status'.

I have one other alternative, as suggested by Mbgirlfriend here on the forum, which is to apply for a closed permit with my current employer, providing they're willing to pay a $230 fee. That's my option of last resort - as a closed permit would prevent me from freelancing, and from doing voluntary work - which I do quite a bit of. :(