+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married after visa

Lovesahota92

Dec 15, 2016
Can i get married after visa and fill my spouse invitation when i enter canada? Is it acceptable because i applied as single. It will affect my profile in canada or not? Please help.

Reactions: _Kiran_20

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Can i get married after visa and fill my spouse invitation when i enter canada? Is it acceptable because i applied as single. It will affect my profile in canada or not? Please help.
Were you married when you applied for your visa? If you were married when you applied then you withheld information and could be in a big soup. If not then you have nothing to worry about.

Lovesahota92

Dec 15, 2016
Were you married when you applied for your visa? If you were married when you applied then you withheld information and could be in a big soup. If not then you have nothing to worry about.
No, i was not. But i am asking if i get visa then marry. Then after entering canada. Can i invite my partner? They will not see that i was single and now am inviting my partner?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
No, i was not. But i am asking if i get visa then marry. Then after entering canada. Can i invite my partner? They will not see that i was single and now am inviting my partner?
Honestly, I think you should just ask the CIC as this seems to be more complicated now that I think of it. They may assume that you and your spouse are trying to game the immigration system by using the open work permit that your spouse will get. You will have to justify why you got married after the visa approval and why you want to bring your spouse to Canada immediately. It may sound harsh but some people are exploiting the system this way and this will cause the immigration officers to be more vigilant.

For more details
https://www.immigration.ca/canadas-international-student-study-permit-system-targeted-fraud-marriages

I would honestly suggest that if it's an option that you get married once you have landed in Canada. You can go back for the marriage and then once you return back to Canada you can file for a spousal open work permit. This would honestly sound more genuine to me. Alternatively, you could get him a visit visa to Canada and marry him here. Both of these options would be sound more genuine to a visa officer than marrying straight after getting the visa.

Reactions: Lovesahota92

Lovesahota92

Dec 15, 2016
Honestly, I think you should just ask the CIC as this seems to be more complicated now that I think of it. They may assume that you and your spouse are trying to game the immigration system by using the open work permit that your spouse will get. You will have to justify why you got married after the visa approval and why you want to bring your spouse to Canada immediately. It may sound harsh but some people are exploiting the system this way and this will cause the immigration officers to be more vigilant.

For more details
https://www.immigration.ca/canadas-international-student-study-permit-system-targeted-fraud-marriages

I would honestly suggest that if it's an option that you get married once you have landed in Canada. You can go back for the marriage and then once you return back to Canada you can file for a spousal open work permit. This would honestly sound more genuine to me. Alternatively, you could get him a visit visa to Canada and marry him here. Both of these options would be sound more genuine to a visa officer than marrying straight after getting the visa.
Yeah, i also dont want want to disobey any rules. I am a genuine person and i will be. i will do this as you said. It seems better way. Thanks :)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well as not clear from above posts but if you applied as single you should not complete your initial landing as single if prior to landing you got married You must notify IRCC that you got married before you land and land as a married individual given this would be a major change in your individual status..

Lovesahota92

Dec 15, 2016
Others can comment as well as not clear from above posts but if you applied as single you should not complete your initial landing as single if prior to landing you got married You must notify IRCC that you got married before you land and land as a married individual given this would be a major change in your individual status..
Okay.but what do you mean by major change in my individual status?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And btw i am a boy and the person i will marry be obviously her, not him haha :p
That’s nice , however do not assume that everyone is in a heterosexual relationship . People assume I am, however in this day and age , one should never assume anything unless you know the person . Btw same sex people can marry in many countries in the world , it’s not always obvious

Reactions: Alpha_Wolf

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Okay.but what do you mean by major change in my individual status?
So you do not consider getting married a major change in your status ? If you get married before you land and you land as though you are still single you are in effect misrepresenting your status.

Lovesahota92

Dec 15, 2016
So you do not consider getting married a major change in your status ? If you get married before you land and you land as though you are still single you are in effect misrepresenting your status.
Ok.That i misunderstood.Thanks for informing me.i will do what is right.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, you can get married after your study permit/visa is approved and come to Canada without issue. You do not need to inform IRCC and there will be no issue when your spouse applies.

If you are referring to a PR visa, no, you can't do that.

Reactions: Lovesahota92

Lovesahota92

Dec 15, 2016
Yes, you can get married after your study permit/visa is approved and come to Canada without issue. You do not need to inform IRCC and there will be no issue when your spouse applies.

If you are referring to a PR visa, no, you can't do that.
No, refering to my study visa and then get married and when i enter canada,invite my spouse. Thats all.