+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

General advice for me, given my context.

Majikat

Jan 4, 2016
Greetings all,

I am considering immigrating to Canada and would love to get some initial advice before I focus my attention on specific aspects of immigrating.

First some basic info about me.
I'm 30 years of age, have a master's degree in economics with 7 years' work experience.
My wife is also 30 years, has a master's degree in geology with 7 years' work experience.

I'm looking for a career change into astrophysics. So I want to study first when I arrive in Canada, then work.
My wife would start work immediately as she is happy with her career choice.

We are looking to move to British Columbia most likely.

What would generally be the best course of action for me? Immigrate using my degree/experience, then go and study.. or enter on a student visa?

Thanks in advance for any help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would immigrate first.

My guess is that you will have trouble getting a study permit approved since the studies you plan to take in Canada won't make sense in light of your previous education and work experience (this tends to be a big reason why study permits are refused).

Also, even if you are approved for a study permit, there is no guarantee your wife will be able to come with you and work. It's possible you may be separated for several years while you complete your studies and the immigration process.

Majikat

Jan 4, 2016
scylla said:
I would immigrate first.

My guess is that you will have trouble getting a study permit approved since the studies you plan to take in Canada won't make sense in light of your previous education and work experience (this tends to be a big reason why study permits are refused).

Also, even if you are approved for a study permit, there is no guarantee your wife will be able to come with you and work. It's possible you may be separated for several years while you complete your studies and the immigration process.
Thanks scylla, so would you suggest that we apply under the skilled workers program? Then once we have our PR cards, I can study/part time work while my wife continues work in her field?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Majikat said:
Thanks scylla, so would you suggest that we apply under the skilled workers program? Then once we have our PR cards, I can study/part time work while my wife continues work in her field?
You should take a look at both the Express Entry / Federal Skilled Worker program - as well as the BC Provincial Nominee program. You'll need to spend quite a bit of time reading through the detailed instructions to understand what the requirements are and what your chances of being accepted are if you apply.

Once you are PRs you will be free to study / work as you wish.

Majikat

Jan 4, 2016
scylla said:
You should take a look at both the Express Entry / Federal Skilled Worker program - as well as the BC Provincial Nominee program. You'll need to spend quite a bit of time reading through the detailed instructions to understand what the requirements are and what your chances of being accepted are if you apply.

Once you are PRs you will be free to study / work as you wish.
Hi again scylla, we've done our IELTS tests, and now on to step 2 for WES verification. I had a quick question here, will we only need to get our highest qualification processed with WES (i.e. our Master's degrees), or would we need to do the preceding degrees as well (i.e. bachelors and honours)?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Majikat said:
Hi again scylla, we've done our IELTS tests, and now on to step 2 for WES verification. I had a quick question here, will we only need to get our highest qualification processed with WES (i.e. our Master's degrees), or would we need to do the preceding degrees as well (i.e. bachelors and honours)?

Post your question to the Express Entry section of the forum.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Majikat said:

Generally, getting your highest degree evaluated is sufficient.

Go through the below link -

https://rajtocanada.wordpress.com/2015/07/22/how-to-educational-credential-assessment-from-wes/

Majikat

Jan 4, 2016
scylla said:
Post your question to the Express Entry section of the forum.
Thanks, wasn't sure where to post it.
I can't post links yet, but its there in the Express Entry section.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is one more reason why PR is better than study permit and that is that international student fees are about 3 times higher than they are for PR's.

Oh, and maybe a couple more and that is with a PR, you are eligible for student loans and there are no barriers how much you can work along with your courses. On a study permit, you would only be allowed to work up to 20 hrs. a week.