+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Funds brought to Canada Express Entry

jadecheee

Aug 17, 2020
I'm filling out my Express Entry applications (FSW), and have a question regarding the "funds that I will be bringing to Canada". I previously studied in Canada under a student visa, and at that time I had opened a bank account there (savings account at one of the major banks). I never ended up closing it (it's still open), even though I left Canada five years ago. The account has about three times the minimum required based on my family's size, and I don't have enough funds in my current U.S. bank account so I can't use that one. I was hoping to simply use my Canadian bank account for this application.
However, I have two worries with this: 1. I wouldn't be "bringing" these funds to Canada, since they're already there; and 2. I'm not sure if they would dislike the fact that I never closed this bank account even though I had left Canada (immigration-wise, it could show intent to immigrate permanently before actually applying? Or maybe it's simply not allowed to keep a bank account there while not being a resident?). My main worry is #1, as I couldn't find anything regarding #2, but I'd love to hear your thoughts!