+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSWP as a Canadian Graduate

nmehta2244

Aug 12, 2023
Hey all, I recently graduated (~2 months ago) from a Canadian university (University of Waterloo) with a Computer Science degree and a separate Pure Math Minor. I had been working 20 hrs/week for the last 2 years of my degree with a software startup in the country and was hoping to apply for permanent residence. I had a couple questions:
1) Although my 2 years of Canadian work experience won't get me points since I was a student, do they still help me meet the requirements for the Federal Skilled Workers Program since the work experience was continuous?
2) Since I have a Pure Math Minor with my CS degree, can I select "two or more degrees, certificates, one of which is a bachelors longer than 3 years" or is that a single Canadian bachelors?

Thank you!

primestudio

Star Member
Jul 7, 2018
Hey all, I recently graduated (~2 months ago) from a Canadian university (University of Waterloo) with a Computer Science degree and a separate Pure Math Minor. I had been working 20 hrs/week for the last 2 years of my degree with a software startup in the country and was hoping to apply for permanent residence. I had a couple questions:
1) Although my 2 years of Canadian work experience won't get me points since I was a student, do they still help me meet the requirements for the Federal Skilled Workers Program since the work experience was continuous?
2) Since I have a Pure Math Minor with my CS degree, can I select "two or more degrees, certificates, one of which is a bachelors longer than 3 years" or is that a single Canadian bachelors?

Thank you!
(1) No because those were done in Canada. You can only claim points if you were studying outside Canada - its relatively common for US masters student to do claim points that way.

(2) No, because that's still under one diploma paper. Its applicable for people who went for associate degree (or Post grad diploma) and then get a bachelor degree afterwards.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay