+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW - common law definition?

tend_23

Apr 2, 2023
Hi I am an outland FSW applicant, my score is close to the latest draw so I am reviewing my profile and have a few questions about common law definition

1) Currently I declare myself as single because I have lived with my partner for less than a year. However before that we usually travelled to each other's apartment and stay for a few weeks. So is "Single" the right status to choose?

2) CIC's definition of common law is "a couple have lived together for at least one year in a conjugal relationship. A common-law relationship exists from the day on which two individuals can provide evidence to support their cohabitation in a conjugal relationship".

If we actually lived together for one year but don't have proof (e.g. joint lease, bank account etc) for a few months, we are not common law?

3) I am also thinking to wait for me and my partner to live together for a year and then apply as common law. But what should we do for the following scenario:

For example, we wait until we live together for 12 months, but only have a 6-months join lease & bank statement etc, the first 6 months we only have a few purchase record showing the same address. From IRCC perspective, Do we only have 6 month qualified common law relationship?

If so, then I apply as single, get PR, and want to sponsor my partner later (assuming my single status doesn't change during the application), will this be a problem? My concern is that I declare myself as single because we don't have proof of the first 6 month, but the personal history will show that we have a common address for 12 months.

Thanks in advance

BTW I know that getting married now and apply together is probably the best and safest solution. I just want to try my best to prevent my marriage decision from being affected by these immigration stuff.

Last edited: