+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FSW application AFTER student visa application???

roy100

Mar 10, 2009
Hi Seniors and all,

Thanks for the very informative answers on this board. I have a particular dilemma, and I wanted some input from the experts...

I am currently in the US, and I am planning to continue my education in Canada. But my wife also qualifies under the new FSW category, and we were debating whether to apply for the FSW first, get the PR and move to Canada (if everything works out well) OR apply to the student visa and apply for the Canadian PR, 1 year after we reach Canada. I am hopeful that I can defer my admission to next year, of need be.

However, then I also was thinking why don't I apply for my student visa now with my wife, and after I get my student visa, my wife can start her application for the FSW category, and get the PR faster.

Of course, in this case, we will be in Canada, since i have a student visa, and she is a dependent (hopefully) when we are requested to provide a medical and stuff.

Is my line of thinking possible, or am I missing something completely?

I know that getting the student visa is easier than the FSW but it is very attractive for us to have the PR before we move to Canada, so that we can get our Canadian citizenship faster :).

Thanks for everyone's input...

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
If your wife is qualified under the new ministerial instructions, then she may apply now but remember that if you have a PR in process, it would be hard to get a student visa later. If the process of obtaining your student visa is fast, ie you can get it in say 6 months, i would recommend that you get it, move to canada and your wife can apply from within canada. It is a bit complicated though as rules might change and your wifes work experience might get out of the list.