AOR Received.
08-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
03-04-2014
Med's Done....
22-05-2014
Having recently amounted 12 months (of 16 months) worth of work experience on a closed work permit, I am now looking at the possibility of submitting a PR application under the CEC, and applying for a bridging open work permit, that would allow me to stay in Canada while the PR application is processed.

My situation in relation to the BOWP criteria is as follows:
• The foreign national is currently in Canada; (Yes)
• They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months; (Yes)
• They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; (No)
• They have made application for an open WP (No)

So, my questions are:
1) How long is a positive eligibility decision expected to take after submitting a PR application
2) Am I able to apply for an open WP? Under the CIC webpage entitled ‘Who can apply for an open work permit' the only way I would potentially qualify would be through the criteria ‘You are already working in Canada and your application for permanent residence has been approved.' Presumably getting to that approved stage would take much longer than the 4 months I have left on my contract, so is there any point in considering the bridging open work permit?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
MLD84 said:
Having recently amounted 12 months (of 16 months) worth of work experience on a closed work permit, I am now looking at the possibility of submitting a PR application under the CEC, and applying for a bridging open work permit, that would allow me to stay in Canada while the PR application is processed.

• They have received a positive eligibility decision on their PR application under one of the Economic Class programs above; (No)

So, my questions are:
1) How long is a positive eligibility decision expected to take after submitting a PR application
These days it takes about 45-50 days to get AOR

2) Am I able to apply for an open WP? Under the CIC webpage entitled ‘Who can apply for an open work permit' the only way I would potentially qualify would be through the criteria ‘You are already working in Canada and your application for permanent residence has been approved.' Presumably getting to that approved stage would take much longer than the 4 months I have left on my contract, so is there any point in considering the bridging open work permit?
When you get your AOR and your current WP is about to expire in the next 4 months, then yes you can apply for BOWP. Processing time for BOWP right now about 30 days.
See comments in red above.

wchlin81

Aug 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2013
AOR Received.
05-03-2013
Please help me out.

My fiancee submitted his CEC immigration since January 2013, received an email from the govt. His closed work permit will expire Jan 2014.

The bridging open work permit is something I am helping him to apply, I've filled out all forms and gathered all docs.

My question is:
1. how come the website says we can apply online and then when I went online and answered 30+ questions I got a "you can apply for CEC immigration" and that's it?
2. Where do we go pay? When I want to pay online I can't even choose bridging open work permit
3. Do I submit bridging open work permit for new employer or existing? I thought the concept of "open" is that you aren't restricted by employer anymore?
CPC Vegreville
Work Permit
6212-55th Avenue – Unit 555
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6
Note: For new employer applications only.

OR

CPC Vegreville
Work Permit
6212-55th Avenue – Unit 202
Vegreville, AB
T9C 1X6
Note: For extensions with same employer only.

I've never had to help anyone submit any paper work so I've tried to do research before I posted here, please help me.

Thank you.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
MLD84 said:

This is an odd wording, to me it implies that you have to apply for an open work permit BEFORE you can apply for a BOWP :) Not what it means - Those are instructions for the VO, who cannot issue a BOWP if you apply for anything other than an Open Work Permit. To apply for the BOWP (there is no BOWP category on the application), you have to select the Open Work Permit choice.

So, my questions are:

Usually about 2-3 months - for CEC class, the Acknowlegement of Receipt (AOR) counts as a positive eligibility decision.

So yes, depending on when you apply, it is worth considering. Some people have submitted their BOWP application before they get their AOR (like about a month after submitting their CEC application), and have been successful, because the AOR was issued before the OWP application was processed. No guarantee it will work for you, but depending on your timelines, it's an option.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
wchlin81 said:
Please help me out.

My fiancee submitted his CEC immigration since January 2013, received an email from the govt. His closed work permit will expire Jan 2014.

The bridging open work permit is something I am helping him to apply, I've filled out all forms and gathered all docs.

My question is:
1. how come the website says we can apply online and then when I went online and answered 30+ questions I got a "you can apply for CEC immigration" and that's it?
2. Where do we go pay? When I want to pay online I can't even choose bridging open work permit
3. Do I submit bridging open work permit for new employer or existing? I thought the concept of "open" is
1) The soonest he can apply for the BOWP is within 4 months of the expiration of his current work permit. If that expiry date is January 31, 2014, then the soonest he would be eligible is October 1, 2013.

2) Are you using this questionnaire?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/apply_online.asp?d=3

3) When asked if he has received a positive eligibility decision on a PR application, did you answer "yes"?
(With CEC class applicants, receipt of the AOR is a positive eligibility decision).

wchlin81

Aug 6, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2013
AOR Received.
05-03-2013
jes_ON said:
1) The soonest he can apply for the BOWP is within 4 months of the expiration of his current work permit. If that expiry date is January 31, 2014, then the soonest he would be eligible is October 1, 2013.

2) Are you using this questionnaire?

3) When asked if he has received a positive eligibility decision on a PR application, did you answer "yes"?
(With CEC class applicants, receipt of the AOR is a positive eligibility decision).
Hi, I answered the first question on the questionnaire so I got totally derailed after that.

It took me FOREVER to figure out I shouldn't have chosen "move there" on my first question but "work"...

Now I just need to scan his digital photo and make him sign the representative doc (me) and the schedule 1, then we should be able to submit this tomorrow!

Fingers crossed.

Thanks a lot!

mkm2021

Mar 5, 2021
I have a employer specific work permit which has another 9 months to expire. I have submitted my PR application and received the AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt). Can I apply for a BOWP now. Though the curent work permit is valid for the next 9 months, it is employer specific while a BOWP is an Open WP and hence may allow moving to a new employer (if needed). The rules around BOWP state that your current WP should have less than 4 months to expiry. But what, in case of closed work permits having more than 4 months of validity?