+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forgot to put PC document in Citizenship Application Package

ganesha8shiva

Sep 22, 2014
I have completed 3 years as a permanent resident. I have been here in Canada never went to another country or home country since I came here on 2016 13th July

PR Date: 2016 13th July
Application Date: 2019 28th Aug

I have police clearance certificate that I submitted at PR application

I have checked mark against police clearance certificate in checklist but by mistake I forgot to put that paper in application package. I have this paper handy though

First Question: What should I do ? Please advice
Second Question: Do they need police clearance in this case ?

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have completed 3 years as a permanent resident. I have been here in Canada never went to another country or home country since I came here on 2016 13th July

PR Date: 2016 13th July
Application Date: 2019 28th Aug

I have police clearance certificate that I submitted at PR application

I have checked mark against police clearance certificate in checklist but by mistake I forgot to put that paper in application package. I have this paper handy though

First Question: What should I do ? Please advice
Second Question: Do they need police clearance in this case ?
There is nothing to do until you get either the application returned as incomplete or you get AOR.

And of course what you do then depends on whether the application is returned or you get AOR.

If the application is returned, follow the instructions and resubmit.

If you get AOR you can probably wait to see if you get a request for a police clearance. If not, if you do not get a request from IRCC, bring your copy of the clearance with you to the test and interview, and be prepared to answer questions about it. Odds are there will be no problem.

As for whether you needed to include a police certificate, many in similar circumstances do not need to include the clearance with the application but must still check the "Yes" box in item 10.b. (in CIT 0002 (06-2019), the current version of the citizenship application form) and then can, instead of including a clearance, list the country and enter an explanation (per the application form instructions) in the chart for item 10.b. But whether a particular applicant can do this, that is basically give the explanation that they have previously provided a clearance for their PR application and have not returned to that country since, and thus not need to include the clearance itself, depends on some particular details in the individual case. The drop-down help in the electronic version of CIT 0002 provides examples which help applicants determine this for their own situation.

If you checked the "Yes" box and listed the country, but did not provide an explanation, then obviously you should have submitted a clearance. Whether this will result in the application being returned as incomplete is difficult to predict. There is nothing you can do now which will change whether that happens. You need a file number to include with any communication to IRCC regarding this application, and there is no file number unless and until IRCC determines the application is complete and there is AOR. Moreover, if the application as submitted does not meet IRCC completeness requirements, a supplemental submission does not cure this . . . the application needs to be re-submitted and as re-submitted meet the completeness requirements in order for IRCC to open an application file and process the application.

ganesha8shiva

Sep 22, 2014
Thanks dpenabill for your time, appreciated !

In 10 b I have checked mark "yes" and this is the following instructions in CIT 0002 (06-2019) at 10 b

Note: If you where in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box

Based upon this instruction I put following explanation in explanation box

Living in home country prior to becoming a permanent resident

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks dpenabill for your time, appreciated !

In 10 b I have checked mark "yes" and this is the following instructions in CIT 0002 (06-2019) at 10 b

Based upon this instruction I put following explanation in explanation box

Odds are very good you are OK.