+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

foreign work experience

galaxy999

Aug 31, 2024
Hi guys,
in work history of my EE profile , I claimed 5 jobs , in total i have more 4.5 years of experience outside canada and more than 1 year in canada . One of my employment certificate does not have job description because the director was angry with my leaving and after hard argument, HR was so reluctant to issue employment certificate for me. Is there any issue if i get ITA and will be able to provide only 3 employment certificates that in total more than 3 years of foregin experience?
thank you so much!

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
Whatever employment you show in the "Work History" section of your EE profile, will require that you submit documentation about it (a.k.a Letter of employment or employment certificate as you refer to it). For a letter of employment to be valid, it must describe your responsibilities (amongst other requirements). If that letter does not contain a job description that matches your NOC (Let alone no job description at all) then you cant claim points for that employment.

Now, keep in mind that you get points for a maximum of 3 years of foreign experience. You can play around with that. If you have 3 years of experience in your primary NOC between only 2 of those 5 jobs for example, then you only need to provide the proper documentation for those 2 jobs.

You still need to disclose all of your previous jobs but for those jobs you don't want to claim any points, you can simply list in the "personal history" section and you won't be asked any documentation about those.

Reactions: galaxy999

galaxy999

Aug 31, 2024
Hi @JuhatmaRhdn,
thank you so much for the answer. I have employment letter saying about my salary,job position (data engineer), and duration, hours per week. However, it does not contain job description. So does it still cause issue to me?
I can't find Personal history in my EE Profile to fill in. I am wondering if this section will appear after i get ITA ?
Actually i have 2 issues with 2 employment letters. One letters contains business headletter (logo) ,company website , salary , my position, duration, official stamp however it does not have job description. Another letter does not have company's headletter , no website because it is very small company and company does not have, but it mentions about job description, position,duration. in your opinion, which one is better for me to use for EE?

Last edited:

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
Yes, it will likely be an issue. Simply, It is a requirement that this letter contain a description of the duties and responsibilities you had when you were employed in that job. That's how they can verify if that specific Job matches your claimed NOC. If you submit your e-APR with a employment letter that contains no job description (duties and responsibilities), it will likely cause your application to be deemed incomplete and returned to you.

Source: Applications for permanent residence programs subject to the Express Entry completeness check - Canada.ca (Under Proof of Work Experience)

The same is true for the other requirements of your employment letter. An employment letter that is not printed on the company's letterhead and contains no website (or other contact information for the company) is a huge red flag. Can also cause your application to be returned to you.

And yes, the Personal History section will be available after ITA.

Reactions: galaxy999