+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign work experience gained during studies (in India) will be counted towards Express entry points or not?

avinash770

Feb 13, 2023
Hello everyone,
I came to Canada as a student in 2021 and am currently on a work permit. I recently passed my IELTS General exam and plan to file a PR through express entry.
Here's my bg summary

Btech (in India) - Sept 2014 to June 2018
Full-time work - March 2018 to April 2021 (3 years and 1-month total exp - same company) - I got placement before my last semester in India and I started my work before even graduating.

Now I am confused about whether my total foreign work experience will be counted in and as "3 years or more" or will it be just 2 years (as I graduated in June 2018 - so as per the Canadian system if we calculate, then work exp will count from July 2018 (after graduation) which will make my total exp under 3 years. ( 2 years category)

If I calculate the CRS score, with 3 yrs of foreign exp I get a total of 50 points but if it's less than that then the total points would be 25 (which does make a difference).

Please let me know if someone has any idea about the same or if anyone was in the same situation before but got his/her PR approved.

Thanks