+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For CEC, I got 40 points with two different NOC and non-continuous experience

junsca2128

Jan 7, 2015
Hello all,

I had my profile set up on the very first day of 2015, very oddly I didn't get the 40 points by that time for my one-year Canadian experience. However, from what I understood about the policy, my case should definitely be qualified as I started working in my first job from Oct. 2013 to Jun. 2014, then changed to the second one in the same month (no gap at all) and worked till now. Please note that the two jobs also have different NOC codes.

Today I tried to update my profile again to see if things would change then I got the points! I thought I should share what I found with you guys, so this may help you as well. The first time when I was putting my work experience, I had the first job from Oct. 13 - Jun. 14 and second one Jun.14 till now as the current one. See there's an overlapping period in June 2014, and I thought this could be the reason for the system to not acknowledge the work experience. So I tried this way - first job from Oct. 13 to May. 14 (it actually ended in the beginning of June, I personally think it should be fine to put in this way for my case), and then second job from Jun. 14 till now, and it WORKED!

I am not sure if it would also just be the instability of the system at the beginning, but my case proved that the work experience under CEC doesn't have to be one continuous year, and applications with more than one NOC code would also be qualified. This actually is what CEC is supposed to be.

I suggest those who are having the same issue to update your files first, just to re-write the work experience section again. If you still did't get the points then it could be the overlapping period, and you then need to decide how to write your work experience. I guess it would be a bit tricky for some who finished the first job in the middle of the month then start another one right away... Maybe prepare an explanation letter for this when you get the ITA because this is not your fault...

Good luck! :)

praneet87

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
Toronto, ON
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
junsca2128 said:
Hello all,

I had my profile set up on the very first day of 2015, very oddly I didn't get the 40 points by that time for my one-year Canadian experience. However, from what I understood about the policy, my case should definitely be qualified as I started working in my first job from Oct. 2013 to Jun. 2014, then changed to the second one in the same month (no gap at all) and worked till now. Please note that the two jobs also have different NOC codes.

Today I tried to update my profile again to see if things would change then I got the points! I thought I should share what I found with you guys, so this may help you as well. The first time when I was putting my work experience, I had the first job from Oct. 13 - Jun. 14 and second one Jun.14 till now as the current one. See there's an overlapping period in June 2014, and I thought this could be the reason for the system to not acknowledge the work experience. So I tried this way - first job from Oct. 13 to May. 14 (it actually ended in the beginning of June, I personally think it should be fine to put in this way for my case), and then second job from Jun. 14 till now, and it WORKED!

I am not sure if it would also just be the instability of the system at the beginning, but my case proved that the work experience under CEC doesn't have to be one continuous year, and applications with more than one NOC code would also be qualified. This actually is what CEC is supposed to be.

I suggest those who are having the same issue to update your files first, just to re-write the work experience section again. If you still did't get the points then it could be the overlapping period, and you then need to decide how to write your work experience. I guess it would be a bit tricky for some who finished the first job in the middle of the month then start another one right away... Maybe prepare an explanation letter for this when you get the ITA because this is not your fault...

Good luck! :)
I hope this is true. Because I have some good jobs in the pipeline and was planning to stick around for the 1 year continous experience.

junsca2128

Jan 7, 2015
It is true and from my profile. If you read the official explanation, it never said the work experience has to be continuous or has to be from one code, which make sense that people would change jobs. It's always better to look up the official website than listening to too many opinions.

Sorry it doesn't allow me to post link here, otherwise I would paste the link from CIC. But you should be easily to find the requirements of CEC.

movincool

Star Member
Nov 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 29, 2015
AOR Received.
January 17, 2016
Med's Request
June 1, 2016
Med's Done....
June 6, 2016
junsca2128 said:
It is true and from my profile. If you read the official explanation, it never said the work experience has to be continuous or has to be from one code, which make sense that people would change jobs. It's always better to look up the official website than listening to too many opinions.

Sorry it doesn't allow me to post link here, otherwise I would paste the link from CIC. But you should be easily to find the requirements of CEC.
Canadian work experience

(3) For the purposes of this section, Canadian work experience is work experience that

(a) is acquired by a foreign national in Canada in one or more occupations listed in Skill Type 0 Management Occupations or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification matrix;
(b) consists of continuous full-time work experience or the full-time equivalent for part-time work experience; and
(c) is acquired within the 10-year period preceding the day on which points are assigned to the foreign national under subsection (1).

To get the points it needs to be continuous as according to the instructions posted in Canada Gazette.

junsca2128

Jan 7, 2015
Hi, what I found from the CEC eligibility is:

Skilled work experience
To be considered for the Canadian Experience Class, you need to have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying. According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)
Your experience must be at least 12 months of full-time (30 hours of paid work per week or more) or an equal amount in part-time hours.

I did see what you quoted under the express entry, but from what CEC explained there's no 'continuous' mentioned. There was no gap in my work experience, so it's fine to change the job within that one year but leaves no gap between the two jobs, and the experience can be acquired from more than one occupation.

Dec 14, 2021
Hi, what I found from the CEC eligibility is:

Skilled work experience
To be considered for the Canadian Experience Class, you need to have Canadian skilled work experience within three years of applying. According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)
Your experience must be at least 12 months of full-time (30 hours of paid work per week or more) or an equal amount in part-time hours.

I did see what you quoted under the express entry, but from what CEC explained there's no 'continuous' mentioned. There was no gap in my work experience, so it's fine to change the job within that one year but leaves no gap between the two jobs, and the experience can be acquired from more than one occupation.
hello there i have same issue like yours i am on work permit right now got experience of food service supervisor in a company of 7 months now im planing to move to IT job now iam confused bcoz i want to apply for cec with two different sector and noc codes i need serious help