+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Time Filing Tax in Quebec: Outland Spousal Sponsorship

avidrunner

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
My wife and I moved to Montreal last year after she was accepted for Outland Spousal Sponsorship. She has been working full time and I have been going to university full time soon after we both landed in Canada. This will be our first year filing taxes in Montreal, and we called H&R Block but they charge $150/person, so $300 total which seems a bit pricey.

We would like to file our taxes correctly, if there are any extra steps to do for spousal sponsorship. Would anybody be able to give advice, is this sometime that can be done online for free with something such as TurboTax or would you advise against that for our first tax file? We were planning on doing a joint file, as a married couple, and we are kind of feeling a bit pressured for time as the deadline is coming up soon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife and I moved to Montreal last year after she was accepted for Outland Spousal Sponsorship. She has been working full time and I have been going to university full time soon after we both landed in Canada. This will be our first year filing taxes in Montreal, and we called H&R Block but they charge $150/person, so $300 total which seems a bit pricey.

We would like to file our taxes correctly, if there are any extra steps to do for spousal sponsorship. Would anybody be able to give advice, is this sometime that can be done online for free with something such as TurboTax or would you advise against that for our first tax file? We were planning on doing a joint file, as a married couple, and we are kind of feeling a bit pressured for time as the deadline is coming up soon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Whether you can do your taxes on your own depends on how complicated your taxes are. Do you have investments or income from outside Canada? H&R block only files the most basic of tax returns and you can usually do that by yourself.