+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Financial support for spousal sponsorship

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello experts

I am working full-time in Canada and want to sponsor my spouse, we don't have any kids yet. My spouse has previously lived in Canada on SOWP but is now backhome. I have 2 questions in this regard:
1. Whats the difference between family class sponsorship vs spousal sponsorship?
2. Do i need to show bank statements as proof of financial support or would my pay stubs and letter of employment be enough for this purpose? If i need to show bank statement, how much would it be and for how long?

Thanks all for your time.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello experts

I am working full-time in Canada and want to sponsor my spouse, we don't have any kids yet. My spouse has previously lived in Canada on SOWP but is now backhome. I have 2 questions in this regard:
1. Whats the difference between family class sponsorship vs spousal sponsorship?
2. Do i need to show bank statements as proof of financial support or would my pay stubs and letter of employment be enough for this purpose? If i need to show bank statement, how much would it be and for how long?

According to your previous post, you too lived in Canada on SOWP. Thus, you are not yet eligible for neither sponsorships. Wait until you have PR.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
According to your previous post, you too lived in Canada on SOWP. Thus, you are not yet eligible for neither sponsorships. Wait until you have PR.
Hi Steaky
This post is from a future point of view. I am getting PR soon and i am currently on PGWP. I want to plan accordingly on how to keep my spouse in legal status

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Steaky
This post is from a future point of view. I am getting PR soon and i am currently on PGWP. I want to plan accordingly on how to keep my spouse in legal status
Your spouse don't have legal status in any country? Even if a person don't have legal status in Canada, the person which is the PR's spouse can still sponsor him or her to immigrate to Canada as a PR. So, wait until you are PR.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Your spouse don't have legal status in any country? Even if a person don't have legal status in Canada, the person which is the PR's spouse can still sponsor him or her to immigrate to Canada as a PR. So, wait until you are PR.
I want to understand the documents that would be required to sponsor my spouse once i am a PR. If you know the answer then please let me know

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hello experts

Spousal sponsorship is a category of family class. So, there is really no "difference"; just part of the same whole.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Spousal sponsorship is a category of family class. So, there is really no "difference"; just part of the same whole.
I think this question refers to the formal 'class' on the spousal sponsorship questionnaire imm5533 (and possibly a couple of other places) - where family class means something else (and is not just a subset).

On that form:
-they are both classes used for sponsoring spouses.
-Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class: the principal applicant (i.e. spouse of sponsor) must be in Canada and residing with sponsor. Short from used most often here on site is 'inland.'
-Family class: principal applicant (spouse) can be inside Canada or outside Canada, but can live apart from sponsor. (I believe this is called family class because same class is used for dependent children applying separately, etc). This is usually termed 'outland' here.

Reactions: Kaibigan

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I think this question refers to the formal 'class' on the spousal sponsorship questionnaire imm5533 (and possibly a couple of other places) - where family class means something else (and is not just a subset).
You are right. I was not thinking of the form wording, just the more generic term "family class", which embraces spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: armoured

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Thank you! What about the financial support? Do i need to show bank statement for my spouse if i am employed full time in Canada ?

fq786

Jun 9, 2021

On that form:
-they are both classes used for sponsoring spouses.
-Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class: the principal applicant (i.e. spouse of sponsor) must be in Canada and residing with sponsor. Short from used most often here on site is 'inland.'
-Family class: principal applicant (spouse) can be inside Canada or outside Canada, but can live apart from sponsor. (I believe this is called family class because same class is used for dependent children applying separately, etc). This is usually termed 'outland' here.
Thank you for clarification! What about the financial support? Do i need to show bank statement for my spouse if i am employed full time in Canada ?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Thank you for clarification! What about the financial support? Do i need to show bank statement for my spouse if i am employed full time in Canada ?
If you are the sponsor and your wife is the principal applicant, I do not think you need to provide bank statements for her. From what I recall from putting together our application back in November, the sponsor is expected to provide some financial information for himself or herself, such as most recent income tax Notice of Assessment. If you have been supporting your wife and she is an outland applicant, the IRCC wants to see some evidence of that support, such as copies of money transfer documents. I don't think they care about seeing her bank statements.

Reactions: fq786

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'd say read the instructions. If I remember correctly, your notices of assessment should be enough.

Reactions: fq786