+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAQ

bd2017

Mar 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
I thought it might be useful to create one giant FAQ for the most common questions people ask to avoid churn. Keep in mind, that most of these questions/answers are crowdsourced and should be treated as such. For official information, always visit the IRCC website. Hopefully we can add more useful info to this and stick it to the top of this forum. Also, remember to always try and search for your question - most likely someone has asked the same thing as you!

Can I take the citizenship test outside of Canada?
Yes - you will need to contact the office that emailed you about the test to let them know you'll be taking it outside Canada first and wait for their approval. They may also ask you to provide proof of return and may also hold your file until you return.

Can I take the oath outside of Canada?
At the moment, that is not allowed. You need to be on Canadian soil to take the oath of citizenship. There have been some cases where users have emailed their office to ask for this and have obtained approval, but its not confirmed. Its always a safe bet to just be on Canadian soil.

Forum timeline tracking format:
  • Type:
    • Online/Paper
  • IRCC Office:
    • Processing office
  • Physical Presence Days:
    • How many physical presence days you collected when submitting
  • Application:
    • Single/Family
  • Application sent:
    • Date submitted/sent
  • AOR:
    • Date of AOR
  • Background:
    • Date of background check completion
  • Test Invite:
    • Date of test invite email
  • Test Date:
    • Date range given for test
  • Test Completed on Tracker:
    • Date of test completion
  • LPP:
    • Date of LPP completion
  • OATH:
    • Date of oath
GSMC(ATIP) Notes:
This can be helpful to obtain to find out what progress, if any, has been made on your file. Obtaining these, may or may not spur some action on your file but this is also unconfirmed. There is no guarantee of that.

Ways of contacting IRCC:
Does Canada allow dual citizenship?
Yes. You should check if your country of citizenship/birth allows this as well.

What is a Ghost Update?
There is a date on top right of the tracker(which you create). This date is the date when the application was last updated/touched in the background by IRCC.
If there are new updates along with the date change, you will see "New updates" mentioned in the application and this is a new status change/update.
If you see just the date updated at the top right and no "New updates", this is what is called a ghost update and there is NO actual change/progress in any of the application steps.

Ghost update = Only the date change on top right and no respective change in application status.

Urgent Travel after Oath:
You can technically travel after doing your oath ceremony, but you would need to come back via the land border between Canada and USA and be able to prove your identity as a Canadian via documents (Oath invite, COPR, etc). Commercial airlines will not let you board without a valid passport.

Where can I check current processing times?
Check IRCC's processing times website for the most up to date information.

I just completed my citizenship test, when can I expect my oath?
As per the IRCC website for citizenship ceremonies, you can expect your oath in 4-6 months. Keep in mind this is probably a best case scenario.

My application is delayed beyond processing times, what can I do?
Honestly, as painful as it is to hear - waiting is probably the only thing one can do. However, if you are inclined to do so, you can file for Mandamus.

In the immigration context, a writ of mandamus, also known as a mandamus application, is used to ask the Federal Court of Canada to order IRCC to issue a decision on an immigration application when an immigration application has been pending for an unreasonable amount of time.

Keep in mind that this will require a lawyer and some funds.

Can I request in-person oath?
You can request this when you are invited for your oath (most likely virtual), but keep in mind that the rescheduling for in-person oath will not be instant and can take days, weeks, or months to do. It may not be worth the extra hassle.

Processing Office Codes:
These visa offices are referred to by their codes, called “responsibility centre” (RC) codes. Some of the common RC codes are:
  • RC-9515: Case Processing Centre, Ottawa
  • RC-8090: Case Processing Centre, Sydney
  • RC-6100: Visa Office, Accra
  • RC-6029: Visa Office, New Delhi
  • RC-9245: Operations Support Centre (OSC)
  • RC-6262: Centralized Intake Office (CIO)
  • RC-9518: Case Processing Centre, Edmonton
  • RC-3296: Visa Office, Etobicoke
Tracker stuck on loading:
After you take the citizenship test, or if you are scheduled for oath - the tracker gets stuck on loading. This seems to be a part of the process and there is nothing to worry about. Generally the tracker starts working again shortly after. In the case of oath, you generally receive an email from your processing office with all the details anyway.

OCI for Indians:
Overseas Citizenship of India is a form of permanent residency available to people of Indian origin and their spouses which allows them to live and work in India indefinitely. Despite its name, OCI status is not citizenship and does not grant the right to vote in Indian elections or hold public office.
For more information and discussion, see this thread.

Nexus:
NEXUS is a joint Canada Border Services Agency and U.S. Customs and Border Protection-operated Trusted Traveler and expedited border control program designed for pre-approved, low-risk travelers. For more information, visit the official Nexus program website.

Last edited:
Reactions: forw.jane