+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Information - Common Law

Mar 22, 2021
Hello Guys,

I am currently in a common-law relationship. However, both of us are still legally married with our previous spouses, separated, but not legally yet for more than a decade now. We are preparing now for the TRV application. In the family information form, what should I put in marital status? Should I select common law and put the name of my common law partner?

In addition, we were also planning to resign from our current job here in one of the GCC countries once we got approved with our TRV and look for a potential employer who could provide the LMIA. So, I was just wondering if anyone from the group has tried this kind of approach, especially those who came from GCC countries. We will be both staying with my brother and his family in Canada, who are both permanent residents.

Thank you so much in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Guys,

I am currently in a common-law relationship. However, both of us are still legally married with our previous spouses, separated, but not legally yet for more than a decade now. We are preparing now for the TRV application. In the family information form, what should I put in marital status? Should I select common law and put the name of my common law partner?

In addition, we were also planning to resign from our current job here in one of the GCC countries once we got approved with our TRV and look for a potential employer who could provide the LMIA. So, I was just wondering if anyone from the group has tried this kind of approach, especially those who came from GCC countries. We will be both staying with my brother and his family in Canada, who are both permanent residents.

Thank you so much in advance.
You are both married and in a common law relationship. You will have to select married and then include additional information about your common law status now. It is incredibly risky to leave employment to come to Canada to try and secure a WP. Have toy looked to see if you qualify for express entry and what is your CRA score? The fact that you are living in a 3rd country may make it difficult to secure a TRV. If you arrive in Canada unemployed without a home then you could also be denied entry into Canada. Even if you plan on staying with your brother you should be able to show your own savings. Have you looked for employment in Canada from your current location? Do you work in a field in high demand in Canada? What NOC? The job market is not great at the moment and Canada has already accepted a significant amount of newcomers in the past few years who are also looking for employment but are already legally able to work in Canada.

Mar 22, 2021
You are both married and in a common law relationship. You will have to select married and then include additional information about your common law status now. It is incredibly risky to leave employment to come to Canada to try and secure a WP. Have toy looked to see if you qualify for express entry and what is your CRA score? The fact that you are living in a 3rd country may make it difficult to secure a TRV. If you arrive in Canada unemployed without a home then you could also be denied entry into Canada. Even if you plan on staying with your brother you should be able to show your own savings. Have you looked for employment in Canada from your current location? Do you work in a field in high demand in Canada? What NOC? The job market is not great at the moment and Canada has already accepted a significant amount of newcomers in the past few years who are also looking for employment but are already legally able to work in Canada.
Our CRA score is very low and I haven't tried to look for an employment to Canada in my current location due to issues with a lot of scammers around. We have our own savings and we also have properties in our home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Our CRA score is very low and I haven't tried to look for an employment to Canada in my current location due to issues with a lot of scammers around. We have our own savings and we also have properties in our home country.
Unless you work in a few industries that are in high demand in Canada it will likely be very difficult to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA and WP process. Many who have work permits or are PRs/citizens are struggling to find employment in Canada due to the large volume of people who have entered Canada in the past few years and many companies not hiring or even laying off people at the moment. Would first see if you are able to get a TRV. If you have well paying jobs currently I would be even more reluctant to leave your current jobs.