+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Class Sponsorship

Manny Alva

Dec 6, 2018
I am Cuban and I have a Cuban passport but I reside in Spain where I have a residence card. My Canadian wife is sponsoring me to live together in Canada. For Cuban documents, the CIC website requests that you send the originals from the beginning of the application process.

Is it necessary that I send it to the CIC and they to have my passport for 6 or 12 months, bearing in mind that I reside in Spain and I may need my passport at any time there at my side?????

Thanks,
MA

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am Cuban and I have a Cuban passport but I reside in Spain where I have a residence card. My Canadian wife is sponsoring me to live together in Canada. For Cuban documents, the CIC website requests that you send the originals from the beginning of the application process.

Is it necessary that I send it to the CIC and they to have my passport for 6 or 12 months, bearing in mind that I reside in Spain and I may need my passport at any time there at my side?????

Thanks,
MA
You are not required to send your passport upfront.

Manny Alva

Dec 6, 2018
You are not required to send your passport upfront.
canuck:
Thank you very much.

My question was because to submit documents issued from Cuba. CIC say in:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Do you need to submit documents issued by another country? Help text
Select a country or territory to get country-specific instructions for documents such as:

• passports
  • birth certificates …

Requirements – Spouse …
Cuba – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If you are providing documents issued in/by Cuba, provide originals of all documents required by the document checklist. The documents will be returned to you after a decision has been made on your application. Reminder: If your documents are not in English or French, provide a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
canuck:
Thank you very much.

My question was because to submit documents issued from Cuba. CIC say in:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Do you need to submit documents issued by another country? Help text
Select a country or territory to get country-specific instructions for documents such as:

• passports
  • birth certificates …

Requirements – Spouse …
Cuba – Instruction(s) for documents
  • If you are providing documents issued in/by Cuba, provide originals of all documents required by the document checklist. The documents will be returned to you after a decision has been made on your application. Reminder: If your documents are not in English or French, provide a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals.
No where is the passport listed as a required document. It will be requested near the end of the process.

Manny Alva

Dec 6, 2018
Many people are confused because the Checklist says that we should send a copy of the passport with the application at the beginning, but refer us to the specific requirements of each country of issue of the document, which in the case of Cuba says: provide originals of all documents required . I hope that the passport is not among those "originals" required at the beginning.
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Many people are confused because the Checklist says that we should send a copy of the passport with the application at the beginning, but refer us to the specific requirements of each country of issue of the document, which in the case of Cuba says: provide originals of all documents required . I hope that the passport is not among those "originals" required at the beginning.
Thanks
PCCs, birth certificates, marriage certificates etc., are documents. Your passport is not a document. If the original was required upfront, that would be stated on the checklist.

Reactions: Manny Alva