+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

failing to meet condition on study permit

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
when i first moved to canada, my study permit limited me to one university. the permit was valid for 4 years. 2 years into it, i changed the type of institution (i went from university to college). i study in the new college for 2 years, not realizing that my study permit had a condition that limited me to only a university. after 2 years, when my study permit was about to expire, i applied to renew it. only then did i notice that i had the condition mentioned above.

the officer renewed my permit without any letter or further problems. since then, i've applied for probably 4 study and work permits and have gotten all of them successfully without any problem. i have since graduated from both a university and a college, and am now on a post-graduation work permit of 3 years. By the way, i made my mistake before 2005, when they changed the laws allowing you to change institutions without getting a new permit.

one of the conditions to apply for PR under CEC is that I was to have met conditions on my study permits and maintained a temporry resident status.
will this make me ineligible? Or, given that since then, i've gotten many new permits without any problems, the visa officer will not cause issues.

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
Hi i got your point. in order to get study permit, you need to get a letter from school where u go. So without a letter from school, you don't get any study permit.
and you changed the institution without noticing visa office.
I don't know it is offending the law or not. but nothing is wrong with PR.
You got a PGWP right? I think you are ok.

commentbyiz

Oct 31, 2011
would like it if a senior member can provide input?
I know i did break the immigration law. however, since i broke it, i've gotten a number of study permits, and work permits, without any issue. i only learned of the difference between 'university' and 'college' a few years ago. from where i come from, when you say "college student", or "i'm going to college", it means the same as "university student" and "i'm going to university."

anyway, i'm on a PGWP right now which will expire in November 2012. i'm obviously going to apply anyway. i figure that if the immigration made a mistake in my favor many years ago, perhaps they will be lenient now.

any other thoughts?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I think you were forgiven long ago... :)