+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Factors for PR processing time

defintelyguru

Star Member
May 1, 2015
Toronto, ON
Hey,

So I know this is something all of us, with an application in process, are sort of wondering... And it's making us crazy not knowing.
How is CIC processing ? What are the factors that make an application being processed fast or slow ? etc.
So here's my idea... You're welcome to share your opinion.

First, let's review what WE can do to make an application go faster, or slow it down :

1. Upfront medicals
2. RPRF
3. Police certificates
4. History
5. Work Reference Letters
6. All Documents required

I really suggest to make sure to have ALL documents ready BEFORE you apply. In doubt, better safe than delay. :D
Best to have more than not enough.
Here are CIC instructions. Don't think we can go wrong with those.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

Then, let's review some factors we have no control over...

1. Single vs Dependants
2. Citizenship
3. Documents / History
4. When you submit your application
5. Where you submit your application
6. CEC vs FSW vs ...
7. PNP, LMIA...

I think we would need some data to put some numbers into those factors. I would encourage everyone to use the tracker for that. Maybe one day we'll than be able to give a precise answer.

Also, I think, anytime you are asked for a document, your case is sent back in the pile...
So don't expect an agent to review it as soon as you upload the document. That's why it's so important to give all documents first hand and have a detailed history.

From all that, I believe an application well prepared, with the best factors in consideration would be approved in 2-3 months max.
Any document missing or request for information will delay of at least 1 month.
If your factors are not so good, I'd expect your application to take min. 4 months. and possibly go to 6 or more.

As I said... this is my opinion.
I'm still waiting for PPR. Based on my analysis, I should receive it in a month. But I could be wrong and have to wait 4 more months (please no !)

So... What do you think ?

GoHaPPyCaN

May 16, 2016
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19th
Doc's Request.
May 2nd
Nomination.....
Cancelled
AOR Received.
April 20th
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
No
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
May 10th
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
September 28th
VISA ISSUED...
October 6th
LANDED..........
Already in CaNaDa !
Yes good comments.

I agree there are 2 types of factors :
- one more external : where we were born, where we lived and travelled, marital status, dependents...
- and the one that directly depends on our application (inland vs outland, types of programs...) and how we prepare it.

I was the most accurate that I could in my application, but as I have 2 minor dependents, I understand it may affect the processing time (even if I hope not).

I also used to travel a lot, and I'm wondering if it might affect the processing time as well. Any idea about that ?

valsanail

Nov 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2016
Doc's Request.
No additional documents request since AOR
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Passport Req..
30-08-2016
LANDED..........
14-10-2016
GoHaPPyCaN said:
Yes good comments.

I agree there are 2 types of factors :
- one more external : where we were born, where we lived and travelled, marital status, dependents...
- and the one that directly depends on our application (inland vs outland, types of programs...) and how we prepare it.

I was the most accurate that I could in my application, but as I have 2 minor dependents, I understand it may affect the processing time (even if I hope not).

I also used to travel a lot, and I'm wondering if it might affect the processing time as well. Any idea about that ?
Once I saw a guy here with 4 dependents and 30 travels who got ppr approx. in 2 months or so.

defintelyguru

Star Member
May 1, 2015
Toronto, ON
valsanail said:
Once I saw a guy here with 4 dependents and 30 travels who got ppr approx. in 2 months or so.
Of course, that will never be an exact science... ;) Wish we could all have it in that timeline ! Everyone happy ;D

What would be interesting to know are the other factors of that person's application.
Maybe travelling is not so much an issue, if it's well documented, in countries not problematic, and for short periods...
Maybe having dependants, but with a western country citizenship doesn't impact so much...
And of course, there's luck. A less regarding agent... Not much backlog. Or vice versa. That we cannot predict !

It's difficult with the current data to know exactly how those factor may impact an application.

Interista

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Actually I think on the basis of a "regular" application (all documents uploaded within the requested form) which makes an application going faster than another one is :
- The Local Visa Offce for Outland people because mostly CIC process within 1 to 3 months and transfers the file to the LVO.
- The NOC
- The citizenship, mostly because it implies waste of time during the Security check. Some country have security agreements with Canada, others don't have.

Andre_Smol

Dec 10, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
FSW Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Nomination.....
18-09-2015
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
06-11-2015
Passport Req..
07-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
18-12-2015
LANDED..........
17-02-2016
Personally, I think VO and country of citizenship make a big difference.

Some VOs are clearly much faster than others and I am sure certain citizenships trigger more security checks than others or at least make it easier or harder gor Canada to acquire all the needed information.

Having worked for a foreign military or government could also easily cause a delay.

As for current EE applicants, I would recommend doing medicals upfront and submitting all documents as any additional requests later on, can only add weeks or possible months to any application processing time.

Thats my impression so far anyway.

zoyaawan

Dec 1, 2018
"As for current EE applicants, I would recommend doing medicals upfront and submitting all documents as any additional requests later on, can only add weeks or possible months to any application processing time."

As in the medical should be given when CIC emails you for it?