+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extention of Work Permit for LCP

thul

May 29, 2009
hi ,

I have a live in caregiver who has been working for me for one year....
I sent her application for work permit extention 2 months back but still havent heard anything.
What if she wants to travel???? The last day for her stay is next week.

Mermaid3011

Star Member
Feb 26, 2009
Toronto, ON
thul said:
hi ,

I sent her application for work permit extention 2 months back but still havent heard anything.
If you applied for her Work Permit already she should have implied status until CPC Vegreville decides about the new work permit. (she may stay and work under the same conditions of her current visa until CPC decides about her work permit renewal).

They currently have a processing time of 90 days for work permit renewals with existing employers - though I am not sure if this timeline is also for LCPs.

Under implied status your nanny is not allowed to leave the country - otherwise she would not be able to keep her implied status and therefore wouldnt be allowed to work under her current visa. Please make sure she understands that. She can call CPC too if she wants to verify your information.

good luck!

dben

Star Member
May 29, 2009
thul:
Did your caregiver have to submit a new LMO and contract with the extension application?

thul

May 29, 2009
Is there a possibility of rejecting the work permit for the LCP ? The expiry date is past due and the processing time says 90days.... How long can a person stay?
How about the health card? How about travelling due to emergency?

dben

Star Member
May 29, 2009
thul

I am new at this. I do know from the CIC web site that the caregiver can continue to work legally with you until a decision of the extension request is received from CIC. I phoned CIC last week and they said that a new LMO was not required for an extension. I also phoned HRSDC in Vancouver and a lady there (Johanne?) said the date on the LMO has no meaning anymore. She said CIC goes by the date on the work visa. She said that the work permit requirements are changing day by day and for me to check the web site 4 months before asking for an extension.

Please let me know when you get your reply.

thul

May 29, 2009
No i havent dben.... the website says it will take another 97 days so i posted mine first week of april.... so i guess it will take atleast july end...

dben

Star Member
May 29, 2009
My caregiver will be due 1 may 2010 so I will get him to send his extension in Jan 2010. Thanks Thul.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
thul said:
hi ,

Hi Thul,

Any news re: the extension of your caregiver's work permit? Please update us. How long did it take before CPC gave their response? Many thanks.