+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending Work Permit?

Tedbat83

Aug 26, 2016
Is it possible to apply to extend my work permit/stay without a PR application in progress?

I know such an application would be eventually be rejected but it would allow me to gain the few extra weeks experience under implied status that I need for the one year requirement on a CEC application? I am coming to the end of my working holiday visa.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This has been answered before somewhere but cannot find it. Believe the answer was negative apart from fact an IEC cannot be extended i think the answer said something along lines that applying knowing it would be rejected could be some sort of misrepresentation and any work in that time would not count to anything and might even technically be illegal . Others can comment as this is just from memory and i might have got it wrong

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Bs65 said:
This has been answered before somewhere but cannot find it. Believe the answer was negative apart from fact an IEC cannot be extended i think the answer said something along lines that applying knowing it would be rejected could be some sort of misrepresentation and any work in that time would not count to anything and might even technically be illegal . Others can comment as this is just from memory and i might have got it wrong
Yes - that's correct. Submitting and application when you don't qualify results in a rejection. Rejection means no implied status and means the additional work experience (after the expiry of the original work permit) can't be counted towards CEC or any other immigration program in Canada (it will be classified as illegal work in Canada).

So the OP's plan won't work.