+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending work permit at border

raja963

Star Member
May 25, 2016
Hi,
Can any one please tell me which border i can go for extending work permit? what documents i need to take? what i need to tell in the border why i am going to US? if they ask me why i didn't applied online? how many days before expiring my work permit i should go to border?

I am currently living in truro(NS). i have open work permit but my pnp is closed to company. i am not sure whether my comapany pay compliance fee online or not. my work permit is getting expired in july 27th and i dont think i will get my pr before that. sorry i have many question. please help me to find out the process.

Applied PR(paper based): Nov 12th 2015
got AOR: Feb 12th 2016
Medical: waiting

ride_bike

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Go to the us, tell them you want to flagpole. They will give you a filled out white form to take back to Canada. It is essentially a "refusal of entry" form , but don't worry this will not impact any future visits / visa applications to the US. Go back to the border and tell them you want to apply for work permit. Take note, you can only get a closed work permit not a BOWP. BOWP can only be done online.
For the closed permit, you need the company to fill out form IMM5802 and pay compliance fee. You will need to have the application number and receipt with you at the border. Take those, along with your employment letter, which need to contain certain information ( google that and you can easily find them), your pnp nomination form, pnp letter ( if you have one) and passport and you should be good to go.

maninder.gta

Star Member
Mar 9, 2016
ride_bike said:
Go to the us, tell them you want to flagpole. They will give you a filled out white form to take back to Canada. It is essentially a "refusal of entry" form , but don't worry this will not impact any future visits / visa applications to the US. Go back to the border and tell them you want to apply for work permit. Take note, you can only get a closed work permit not a BOWP. BOWP can only be done online.
For the closed permit, you need the company to fill out form IMM5802 and pay compliance fee. You will need to have the application number and receipt with you at the border. Take those, along with your employment letter, which need to contain certain information ( google that and you can easily find them), your pnp nomination form, pnp letter ( if you have one) and passport and you should be good to go.
This information is really helpful.

I want to apply for BOWP because my open work permit is going to expire in October 2016.

How to apply for BOWP online?

moneywater

Dec 10, 2012
Canada
NOC Code......
[color=blue]2241[/color]
App. Filed.......
03-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
Med's Request
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
Passport Req..
XX-XX-2017
LANDED..........
already in!!
do we require canadian visa to do the flagpoling or just work permit will suffice?? My canadian visa is expired and i haven't renewed it yet (not planning to go outside canada anytime soon)

Jovie

Sep 24, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
September 21, 2015
Doc's Request.
June 16, 2016
Nomination.....
September 16, 2015
AOR Received.
January 11, 2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
August 23, 2016 - OTTAWA
Med's Request
June 30, 2016 (but I did upfront prior - June 21)
Med's Done....
June 21, 2016
Passport Req..
December 15, 2016
LANDED..........
22-12-2012 - INLAND
moneywater said:
do we require canadian visa to do the flagpoling or just work permit will suffice?? My canadian visa is expired and i haven't renewed it yet (not planning to go outside canada anytime soon)
A person I know needed a TRV (Temporary Residence Visa) we she did Flag pole exit and entry, I you are from the country that visa exempted then You don't need it.. but if you are I suggest better get one. Basically flag poling is also exiting and entering the boarder, to enter back Canada border they will check on your TRV.

If someone from here experienced different scenarios than this matter, Please let us know. and Please correct me if am wrong here.

Thanks.

raja963

Star Member
May 25, 2016
ride_bike said:
Thank you very much. This helps lot.

ride_bike

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
Jovie said:
A person I know needed a TRV (Temporary Residence Visa) we she did Flag pole exit and entry, I you are from the country that visa exempted then You don't need it.. but if you are I suggest better get one. Basically flag poling is also exiting and entering the boarder, to enter back Canada border they will check on your TRV.

If someone from here experienced different scenarios than this matter, Please let us know. and Please correct me if am wrong here.

Thanks.

If you only leave Canada to go to the states, you do NOT need a TRV to return to Canada as long as you have a valid permit ( work , study etc) even if you are NOT from a visa exempt country. Hence flagpoling does not require a TRV regardless , but you need to make sure whatever permit you hold is still valid. I have gone to the States and back many times using only my study and work permit.

moneywater

Dec 10, 2012
Canada
NOC Code......
[color=blue]2241[/color]
App. Filed.......
03-03-2016
AOR Received.
22-04-2016
Med's Request
24-02-2017
Med's Done....
08-03-2017
Passport Req..
XX-XX-2017
LANDED..........
already in!!
ride_bike said:
If you only leave Canada to go to the states, you do NOT need a TRV to return to Canada as long as you have a valid permit ( work , study etc) even if you are NOT from a visa exempt country. Hence flagpoling does not require a TRV regardless , but you need to make sure whatever permit you hold is still valid. I have gone to the States and back many times using only my study and work permit.
thanks for the info ride_bike, I believe this scenario(of not needing US visa) only works if someone is driving to states. For flying to states it requires US visa.

ride_bike

Star Member
Feb 12, 2016
moneywater said:
thanks for the info ride_bike, I believe this scenario(of not needing US visa) only works if someone is driving to states. For flying to states it requires US visa.

Hi moneywater, regardless by air or land. As long as you're returning only from the States. No TRV is required if whatever permit you're holding is still valid.

Swill

Feb 17, 2015
raja963 said:
Hi,
Can any one please tell me which border i can go for extending work permit? what documents i need to take? what i need to tell in the border why i am going to US? if they ask me why i didn't applied online? how many days before expiring my work permit i should go to border?

I am currently living in truro(NS). i have open work permit but my pnp is closed to company. i am not sure whether my comapany pay compliance fee online or not. my work permit is getting expired in july 27th and i dont think i will get my pr before that. sorry i have many question. please help me to find out the process.

Applied PR(paper based): Nov 12th 2015
got AOR: Feb 12th 2016
Medical: waiting
Hi Raja,

Did you flagpole? how did it go? I am in a similar situation. I have ontario PNP and would like to extend my work permit and i plan to flagpole.