+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

extending the PGWP

kat_25

Aug 11, 2011
I have a PGWP which is expiring in Nov 2011 & I've already applied for PR thru the CEC...just waiting for it to come through now....since my WP is expiring soon just wanted to find out what I have to do to extend it? 1) should my employer apply for a LMO?
..2) also do they have to show that they recruited other ppl for the same position or can they skip that part since I have a PGWP?
3) If I dont hear back regarding my PR before the PGWP expires, can I still continue to work if the LMO is positive?

hbic

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
new york
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-jul-2010
AOR Received.
07-dec-2010
File Transfer...
05-apr-2011
Med's Request
20-jul-2011
Med's Done....
03-aug-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-sep-2011
VISA ISSUED...
23-sep-2011
LANDED..........
07-oct-2011
kat_25 said:
I have a PGWP which is expiring in Nov 2011 & I've already applied for PR thru the CEC...just waiting for it to come through now....since my WP is expiring soon just wanted to find out what I have to do to extend it? 1) should my employer apply for a LMO?

hi. yes you have to have a lmo by then.

..2) also do they have to show that they recruited other ppl for the same position or can they skip that part since I have a PGWP?

as i know, the company needs to show a list of applicants for a certain position. it's up to the company if they still want to show that they recruited other people. for me, better not to show.

3) If I dont hear back regarding my PR before the PGWP expires, can I still continue to work if the LMO is positive?

i'm not really sure about this, from pgwp to getting lmo/wp. best way is to call them. in my case, i always continue working even if i don't have my work permit and lmo yet. but both of them are already in process.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
kat_25 said:
I have a PGWP which is expiring in Nov 2011 & I've already applied for PR thru the CEC...just waiting for it to come through now....since my WP is expiring soon just wanted to find out what I have to do to extend it?

1) should my employer apply for a LMO?

YES.

2) also do they have to show that they recruited other ppl for the same position or can they skip that part since I have a PGWP?

They do NOT have to demonstrate recruitment efforts, because you were originally hired under the PGWP program. They do have to indicate YES, intent to permanent hire.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/intstugrad.shtml

You have to apply for a new work permit before your PGWP expires. You need a positive LMO to do this. So your employer should apply for the LMO about 4 months before your WP expires. When your employer gets the LMO approval, you apply to extend your work permit -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp