+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending status to wait for AOR and apply for BOWP, then withdraw first application

Mariel28

Jul 30, 2024
Hello,

For context: my open work permit expires in a month. My NBPNP Non-express Entry PR Application has recently been submitted, but the AOR has not been sent to me. Fortunately, a work permit support letter has been given to me after getting nominated, which I can use to get a closed work permit. However, I prefer getting an open work permit through a BOWP using the AOR, if I receive it soon. The problem is I don't think I will receive it soon.

Now, I am planning on applying for an LMIA-exempt work permit using the work permit support letter, which should give me maintained status until I receive the AOR, at which point if a decision has not been made on the work permit application, I will apply for a BOWP and withdraw the first application. Is this strategy viable? Has anyone tried this before? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello,

For context: my open work permit expires in a month. My NBPNP Non-express Entry PR Application has recently been submitted, but the AOR has not been sent to me. Fortunately, a work permit support letter has been given to me after getting nominated, which I can use to get a closed work permit. However, I prefer getting an open work permit through a BOWP using the AOR, if I receive it soon. The problem is I don't think I will receive it soon.

Now, I am planning on applying for an LMIA-exempt work permit using the work permit support letter, which should give me maintained status until I receive the AOR, at which point if a decision has not been made on the work permit application, I will apply for a BOWP and withdraw the first application. Is this strategy viable? Has anyone tried this before? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Only option is to apply for Closed work permit. Employer have to submit job offer in employer portal and pay $230 compliance fees and then you can apply for closed work permit along with other documents.

Mariel28

Jul 30, 2024
Only option is to apply for Closed work permit. Employer have to submit job offer in employer portal and pay $230 compliance fees and then you can apply for closed work permit along with other documents.
Yes, I will apply for a closed work permit, but can I apply for a BOWP as well if I receive the AOR while a decision has not been made on the closed work permit? Thanks for replying!