+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend Study Permit Online as Refugee/Protected Person

maplefamilyca

May 31, 2023
Hi everyone,

I am a current student and recently I have received a positive notice of decision and now a protected person. I have a study permit expiring in September 2024 and have contacted my school which told me that I will have to extend my study permit. I currently do not have my passport in my possession as they have been seized by the IRCC and only have in my possession the notice of decision, Refugee claimant protection document, an official copy of my passport provided by the IRCC and my BCID. My passport expires in September 2024 as well. I am unable to extend my passport as 1. I do not have my passport in my possession and 2. because of my political activity and the unstable state of my country as stated in my basis of claims. How can I apply for a study permit extension without my passport and which documents will I have to provide?

Thank you all in advance for the replies!!

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am a current student and recently I have received a positive notice of decision and now a protected person. I have a study permit expiring in September 2024 and have contacted my school which told me that I will have to extend my study permit. I currently do not have my passport in my possession as they have been seized by the IRCC and only have in my possession the notice of decision, Refugee claimant protection document, an official copy of my passport provided by the IRCC and my BCID. My passport expires in September 2024 as well. I am unable to extend my passport as 1. I do not have my passport in my possession and 2. because of my political activity and the unstable state of my country as stated in my basis of claims. How can I apply for a study permit extension without my passport and which documents will I have to provide?

Thank you all in advance for the replies!!
Copy of your passport and notice of seizure explaining your situation

Reactions: maplefamilyca