+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend canadian work visa at us border???

Gwendoline

Dec 1, 2009
hello everybody. if anybody has information on this, please respond soon. our situation is, that my partner and I applied to extend our work visa. we've done this before and it is never been a problem. we are also accepted by the provincial nominee program. our application was refused because of the missing LMO which my partners boss had missed to mail. however. we went to an immigration information event and a lady from CIC told us about the possibility to apply at a canadian port of entry, which would be montana for us. she said there is a chance to go there, explain the situation and if we're lucky, take home our extended work visa right away. she also said in case they don't do it they would give us a visitor visa which would mean, that we would have to apply outside of canada in order to get an extension. that would also mean that I would lose my job. has anybody been in this kind of situation? please help me. I need to find the fastest way to get the extension in order to keep my job. thank you.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Gwendoline said:
hello everybody. if anybody has information on this, please respond soon. our situation is, that my partner and I applied to extend our work visa. we've done this before and it is never been a problem. we are also accepted by the provincial nominee program. our application was refused because of the missing LMO which my partners boss had missed to mail. however. we went to an immigration information event and a lady from CIC told us about the possibility to apply at a canadian port of entry, which would be montana for us. she said there is a chance to go there, explain the situation and if we're lucky, take home our extended work visa right away. she also said in case they don't do it they would give us a visitor visa which would mean, that we would have to apply outside of canada in order to get an extension. that would also mean that I would lose my job. has anybody been in this kind of situation? please help me. I need to find the fastest way to get the extension in order to keep my job. thank you.
Are you from a "visa-free country"? From any Port of Entry you would still need to present your LMO when obtaining your work permit and if you are from a country whose citizens need visa, you would have to apply for your TRV at a visa office outside Canada.

Gwendoline

Dec 1, 2009
Are you from a "visa-free country"? From any Port of Entry you would still need to present your LMO when obtaining your work permit and if you are from a country whose citizens need visa, you would have to apply for your TRV at a visa office outside Canada.

we are from germany. and we were told that because we are approved by PNP we don't need the LMO to extend our visa. so are you saying, that we have to wait for the new LMO and then take it to the border to maybe get the extension? so frustrating!! I don't know what to do...

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Gwendoline said:
we are from germany. and we were told that because we are approved by PNP we don't need the LMO to extend our visa. so are you saying, that we have to wait for the new LMO and then take it to the border to maybe get the extension? so frustrating!! I don't know what to do...
By getting approved by PNP, are you saying that you are already Permanent Residents?

Gwendoline

Dec 1, 2009
no. not yet. we applied for PNP, it got approved, we applied for PR and in the meantime or work visa expired. because we didn't know when we would get the PR we had to apply
to extend the visa. it would have been all good if my partners boss would have applied for the new LMO, which he missed. so when we got the letter telling us that our
application is refused because of the missing LMO, we lost our status. the only good thing happen would be, if we would get an approval for PR in the mail soon.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Gwendoline said:
no. not yet. we applied for PNP, it got approved, we applied for PR and in the meantime or work visa expired. because we didn't know when we would get the PR we had to apply
to extend the visa. it would have been all good if my partners boss would have applied for the new LMO, which he missed. so when we got the letter telling us that our
application is refused because of the missing LMO, we lost our status. the only good thing happen would be, if we would get an approval for PR in the mail soon.
You can obtain a work permit at the border. TRV as a worker? Visas are obtained from Canadian Visa Offices out of Canada. Since you are from a visa exempt country you can try what the lady told you, extend your work permit at the border but without an LMO I am not sure if there is a chance. At worse you can be issued visitor records or new stamps on your passport granting you visitor privileges. You can't work but you can wait for your PR or you can process your visa from abroad. Not an expert though. Leon, PMM etc are more knowledgeable about these things.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

job_seeker said:
Gwendoline said:
You can obtain a work permit at the border. TRV as a worker? Visas are obtained from Canadian Visa Offices out of Canada. Since you are from a visa exempt country you can try what the lady told you, extend your work permit at the border but without an LMO I am not sure if there is a chance. At worse you can be issued visitor records or new stamps on your passport granting you visitor privileges. You can't work but you can wait for your PR or you can process your visa from abroad. Not an expert though. Leon, PMM etc are more knowledgeable about these things.
They need the facilitation letter from the Province showing that there PNP has been approved so that they can obtain an extension. No LMO is required in their case, but they do require the letter. Note that some Port of Entries will tell applicants from Canada to mail their application to Vegreville as they are not staffed for TWP extensions.

PMM

Gwendoline

Dec 1, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

job_seeker said:
Gwendoline said:
They need the facilitation letter from the Province showing that there PNP has been approved so that they can obtain an extension. No LMO is required in their case, but they do require the letter. Note that some Port of Entries will tell applicants from Canada to mail their application to Vegreville as they are not staffed for TWP extensions.

PMM
thanks so much!! we do have the letter and all the other paperwork. so hopefully it's going to work out. I'm just wondering, how can I find out which border crossing would be the right one to try? we are planning on going to montana. as far as I know there is 6.