+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Timeframe - do we have enough time? Or cutting it fine?

shaneg1991

Nov 21, 2022
Hi everyone,

Super brief (joking) background info:

Spouse and I currently in Canada on work permits (hers is a closed, employer-specific work permit - mine is a spousal open work permit). We are applying for PR but our most pressing issue is our permits are up on January 9, 2023. So we're trying to figure out ways to keep working in Canada whilst simultaneously applying for PR.

In 2020, as we were readying a PR application, we did not get it in on-time before our permits expired and had to stop working. It took 6 months, a BC PNP, an LMIA job offer, and much stress to get new work permits. We put our PR application on hold back then. But we're back now, with 2 years more skilled work experience, albeit in a similar time-crunch with an expiry date looming.

Few questions:

1. In order to apply for bridging work permits, we need an AOR, correct? You get the AOR after the R10 completeness check?
2. For express entry, does IRCC need to receive the IME results in order to send the AOR?
3. Would our IMEs from 2 years ago be sufficient, or do we need to do another upfront medical exam?
4. Would my spouse, assuming we can get an AOR before Jan 9, receive an open or another closed work permit?
5. Essentially, do we have enough time to pull this off and get some sort of bridging work permits before Jan 9?

It's worth mentioning that we are currently in the pool, with a CRS of 518. We're fairly confident of an ITA this coming Wednesday (November 23) which seems to be the next round of invitations.

Thanks to all of you wonderful awesome people who will reply to this - and if you just view this question but don't reply - best of luck to you in your own immigration journey!