+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry or ONIP or Spousal Sponsorship

I amGautam

Dec 21, 2018
Hello friends,

I am a Canadian Permanent Resident. My fiance is in India, and has created an express entry profile. Her CRS is 468. Unfortunately the cut off scores are lingering around 470 since October. She has received a NOI from Ontario for ONIP and the deadline for that is nearing. We are getting married this weekend in India and after that the spousal sponsorship option will also open up for us. Now I am torn between the following options.
1. Wait for the express entry CRS cut off to reduce to or below 468. Its been almost 5 months since we have waited for that to happen.
2. Go ahead with ONIP. This adds 2 months to the time line and CAD 1500 to the budget.
3. Start the spousal sponsorship process soon after the wedding. The application process for this is tedious as it is paper based and the processing time is close to 12 months now.

Your thoughts and inputs are greatly appreciated. Also, after the wedding, when I update the Express entry profile and/or the ONIP application of my wife from single to married, will it be automatically considered as a spousal sponsorship and will I be forced to go through the paper based application only?

Thanks & regards,
Gautam

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
will it be automatically considered as a spousal sponsorship
It's still an Express Entry application. Has nothing to do with sponsorship.

If money is not an issue for you, go with OINP then EE. Otherwise go with sponsorship.
Be aware if you choose to sponsor, you'll need to stay in Canada during the application process. If your spouse cannot legally enter Canada and your application is processed as outland sponsorship, be prepared to live separately from each other for a prolonged period of time